Trusted Contributor

I am caring for a male cat in his home while his owners are at their vacation home for a couple of months.   He is not cuddly and quite set in his ways.  I have learned through hisses and swipes what he likes and doesn't like.  He does not play at all but is quite vocal.  I feed him (kibble and wet food), change his water, clean his box and am able to scratch his head and rub his back.  He is not a young cat, a small brown tabby. 

My question is that he drools, especially when hungry.and whem I visit him and scratch hishead and he rubs me.   I have never seen a cat do this before.   Mostly it is just drops but before he eats it can be a long string.   When he hisses, his teeth look OK and I am unable to safely look at his teeth.   Can this be normal?.

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman If I was caring for this cat, I would mention it to the owners.  Are you in touch by computer/phone?  You have a challenge with this kitty for two months, I hope you are being well paid....

Respected Contributor

@NYwoman I would be careful with this cat. He sounds a student for" Caesar" the Cat whisper. Please be careful, I would tell the owner of this cat 's actions. You are braver than I would be. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't had a cat that drools.  I'd ask his owners.

Honored Contributor

@NYwoman  My cat is quite spoiled and when I massage her back she purrs so loud that she has a little drool come out.   You should maybe keep some dry food in his bowl so he can snack on it.  I actually feel sorry for him.  He must be very lonely and his owners should have taken him with them.  Shame on them.  Call the owners and let them know what is going on if they even care.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@NYwoman cats will drool for various reasons, anxiety, pain, oral problems, happiness, hunger, excitement and more. I had a cat that drooled so much from fear at the vets office that the doctor had to wipe and wipe the mouth with tissues ( There was nothing medically wrong with the mouth and she never drooled at any other time). A few of my kitties (males) drool when they are being petted, purring as they knead their paws it'll drip out of their mouths or on me. I'd call the owners, see if this is a normal trait for this cat, if not, it's possible that he needs to be looked at by a vet. Good luck with this boy, he sounds like a handful.

Trusted Contributor

The cat is lucky this year with my looking after him.   Before, he would be left alone in a large house alone and checked on a couple of times a week.   I visit with him a few times a day and leave the door between our residences open alot to allow him to visit me.   

The owners really could not bring him with them.   

His purrs sound like a growl and his meow sounds like a Siamese.  He is cross eyed, too. 

I keep dry food available for him at all times.  

The owners' daughter comes by weekly and I will talk to her if see her.   

Trusted Contributor

The cat has never gotten along with anyone but the immediate family.   I take his grouchy communication as his way of letting me know how HE wants things done.   I learned to let him proceed me to his feeding area and put the food down before the water.   He lets me pet him more now.  But I know my limits.   I can get a slow blink.  But he put his teeth on my hand tonight without pushing down for some reason.   I use my voice to set my limits, too.

He is set in his ways and its HIS house.  

Super Contributor

Nycwoman:  Sometimes when I was petting or scratching one of my previous cats he would gently take one of my fingers between his teeth and just hold on.  I knew that this meant that he had had enough for now and he wanted me to stop.  He never ever bit me or hurt me in any way - this was just his way of telling me to stop. 

I have learned over the years that cats do indeed tell you what they want, and they are happiest if you go along with them.  That is not to say ignore them, but many of them are just happy with you being there without much phyisical contact.  I agree with a previous poster that this boy sounds lonely so I am glad you are there for him several times a day. Just chatting to him in a gentle tone might be good for him.

Leaving him alone for long periods in the past tells me that his owners are not "cat people" and really don't understand cats.  No matter how aloof they are, cats need people around them and often get very frightened if left alone for a long time.

As for the drooling, many times this indicates a tooth problem.  However, if it is not continuous, then perhaps not in this case, but it is something for you to be aware of.

One final thought.  Does he have anything to occupy him while he is alone?  Can he sit at a window, or does he have a toy to play with?  Most cats love a lightweight ball or something to chase around.  If he is alone for hours with nothing to do he could indeed get cranky.

I am glad you are trying to be his friend.  Please don't give up on him.

Respected Contributor

PER PET HEALTHNETWORK'S article:

1. Dental disease and cat drool
There are some conditions, like dental disease, that produce irritation of the mouth. In those cases drooling is an effort to remove or sooth the irritation in the mouth or throat. Dental disease is a common cause of excess drooling. As many as 85% of cats over 3 years of age have tooth or gum disease. The saliva that results may be blood tinged or smell unpleasant.

2. Respiratory conditions and cat drool
Some cats that develop viral respiratory conditions develop ulcerations in their mouth, resulting in increased saliva flow. 

3. Oral cancer and cat drool
Although much less common than dental or viral inflammation, some cats do develop oral cancers that can occur anywhere from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. These conditions result in excessive and ongoing drooling. This is an indication that your cat should have a complete examination from your veterinarian with particular emphasis on oral conditions.  

4. Foreign bodies and cat drool
Less frequently, excessive drooling may be due to a foreign body. Cats may swallow a blade of grass, a sewing needle or a small fish bone and this object can become lodged in the mouth or esophagus. They may paw at their mouth or try to vomit but the bottom line is swallowing is uncomfortable and the cat will not swallow normally. 

5. Fear and cat drool
Some cats drool when they are very excited, upset or fearful. Nausea and the apprehension that precedes vomiting often result in drooling. Motion sickness may be a result of driving in a car or apprehension. In either event, it generally stops at the end of the ride. If your cat drools out of apprehension it will not persist.

6. Joy and cat drool
Some cats may drool when they are extremely relaxed and enjoying being petted or cuddled. This is not uncommon and merely indicates a physiologic response to happiness. Similarly some cats may drool when they are asleep, probably because they are so relaxed.  Think of it like that small wet spot you find on your pillow after a sound sleep. This type of drooling is often an indication of a happy cat.