Super Contributor

anyone use Dasuquin for their cat?

A vet recently prescribed Dasuquin (a kind of glucosamine, only for pets) for my senior (11 years old) cat.

I haven't yet received the prescription (they are taking forever, for some reason.  I check with them often, it looks like the meds were finally shipped on 25 Nov.), so haven't tried it.

Anyone have experience with this medication?  How long did it take to 'kick in'?  How much relief does ti seem to provide for your pet?

Of course, I will read the info that comes with the drug, but I'm also curious as to others' experiences with this medication.  

I don't know what the dosage of the prescription is, and it's inexpensive, but I'm now wondering if it might be more convenient/faster to just order an over the counter version?   Anybody try that?

Thanks, in advance!

Contributor

Re: anyone use Dasuquin for their cat?

that is a joint med its very good for my old dogs Smiley Happy

Contributor

it is the most uesd by vet's and recomended !!!

Super Contributor

Now I'm reading about CBD oil and it's positive effects on joint pain.

Anyone use that?  

I'm so hoping for a quicker-acting solution here, rather than having to wait 4-6 weeks for the Dasuquin to maybe offer some relief.

It breaks my heart that my baby girl is in pain.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Calgal2too   There isn't any evidence that CBD oil provides pain relief for joint pain in pets or people.  I've done a lot of research about that for myself.  I actually did try it, and it did nothing at all for me.

I've given Dasuquin to many dogs through the years.  My 8 year old dog is on it now.  I've always felt like it helped, but the actual prescription meds work better of course.  I order Dasuquin from Amazon or Chewy.  Your doctor may have written you a prescription, but it's definitely not a prescription medication.  You can go to Dasuquin dot com to read about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

You are correct, I shouldn't call dasuquin a medication; it is a supplement.

Thank you for sharing your experience with CBD oil.

So, I think you're saying that while my vet prescribed Dasuquin, I can also buy it 'over the counter', and it will be just as effective?  If I can save myself some time and $$, then I'm in favor of that, but only if I can expect the same good result (and only time will tell on that, since I haven't started on it yet), especially since this is a maintenance 'drug'.

I have three cats.  It would be difficult to feed Harlow her dasuquin-laced food separately, so it's likely I'm going to have to put it on all the food.  It's my understanding that won't harm the other cats, and, in fact, might be good for the them in the long run, but it'll be a bigger expense.

Anyone have good luck with the chews (as opposed to mixing the capsule ingredients into the food)?

Frequent Contributor

We've been giving it to our cat for about a year now.  He has arthritis in a hip joint.  It has helped for his days with mild pain and for times when it is more intense we give him a dose of metacam.  He gets a daily dose of 2 pills of Dasuquin, one in the morning and one in the evening in his wet food.  We open the capsule and sprinkle on/mix in his food.  Thankfully, he doesn't notice it in his food!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Calgal2too wrote:

So, I think you're saying that while my vet prescribed Dasuquin, I can also buy it 'over the counter', and it will be just as effective?  If I can save myself some time and $$, then I'm in favor of that, but only if I can expect the same good result (and only time will tell on that, since I haven't started on it yet), especially since this is a maintenance 'drug'.

I have three cats.  It would be difficult to feed Harlow her dasuquin-laced food separately, so it's likely I'm going to have to put it on all the food.  It's my understanding that won't harm the other cats, and, in fact, might be good for the them in the long run, but it'll be a bigger expense.

Anyone have good luck with the chews (as opposed to mixing the capsule ingredients into the food)?

@Calgal2too   As far as I know what your Vet "prescribed" and what you can buy over the counter are exactly the same thing.  There isn't a prescription version.  I went to their website before I posted that to double check and couldn't find that there was a prescription version.  Lots of Vets recommend it though.  That's how I got started on it many years ago.

Edited to say:  See my next post.  I think I'm wrong about there not being a Dasuquin that you can only get from the Vet.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@Calgal2too wrote:

@Calgal2too   As far as I know what your Vet "prescribed" and what you can buy over the counter are exactly the same thing.  There isn't a prescription version.  I went to their website before I posted that to double check and couldn't find that there was a prescription version.  Lots of Vets recommend it though.  That's how I got started on it many years ago.

@Calgal2too   Maybe I'm wrong about it not being a prescription.  When I looked for Dasuquin Advanced on Chewy and Amazon they don't have it, just the regular Dasuquin.  I apologize for the confusion.  I didn't know there was a Dasuquin Advanced.  Go to the website Dasuquin dot com and read about the two.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Visitor

I have used Dasuquin for my 6 year old cat for 2 years now.  She suffers from bouts of bladder inflammation (painful), and this helps with both the inflammation and strengthening of the bladder walls.  She will be on it for life.  I find it very helpful, although it does not prevent or cure her condition.  It does stretch out the frequency of the flares.

Be careful if you get the supplement in chews.  As far as I know, those are for dogs.  There are separate formulas and strengths for dogs and cats.  The feline version is a sprinkle capsule.

You can open the capsule and sprinkle it on the food, which doesn't work for my cat at all.  If you can pill your cat, you can drop the entire capsule down the throat.  It looks large and intimidating if you aren't accustomed to giving meds; but you will not choke your cat.

My nutty cat likes the flavor of it so much, she eats the capsule like it was a treat.  My cat just hates wet food, so that's why I don't use it as sprinkles.  Also, should your other cats eat the Dasuquin, it won't harm them in any way.  It's a very safe supplement.

I also give it to my 10 year old dog in the chew form.  I get that one from Chewy.

I order the sprinkle caps from VetSource, which has an arrangement with my vet.  They autoship, which is very convenient.

Good luck!