Respected Contributor

My first pet as a child was a Basset named Schnitzel. As an adult it was my little blue parakeet20160606_134028.jpg

Respected Contributor

I grew up on a farm (nursery) with a slew of mostly feral barncats.  One was relatively friendly, but wasn't much to look at - a skinny, muddled looking tabby I named Jet. She made friends with some customer's kids and my dad gave her to them.

Lo and behold, she made her way back to us awhile later with an extra package: she must have met a beautiful male cat as she gave birth to a white long haired cat with calico markings on her head and tail.  They became housecats and I think we kept 4 generations...

Denise
Honored Contributor

I grew up with cats, my parents had a cat when I was born.  I've seen pictures of him but I don't remember that cat.  My first memory of a pet is the cat we had when I was around 3.  He was an orange tabby named Sandy and he was my partner in crime. Coincidentally, the last cat in my life was also a big orange tabby.  I came full circle.  He passed away three years ago and I'm not ready for another cat.  These past 3 years have been the only time in my life when I was without a cat.  

Esteemed Contributor

Our first dog was a collie/shep named you guessed it Lassie.

She was a gentle loving dog. She lived to age 17. Miss her.

I have fond memories of her. We always had collie mixes.  

Respected Contributor

As a child, our family dog was Candy (she was a mutt whose mother was my Aunt's dog, all of the cousins took one puppy)  She was the greates dog and lived to the age of 18

As a married woman, our first was named Dinky,  She was a Brittany (mutt) who loved us with all of her heart.  Dink lived 14 yrs.

I now have Dottie and Debbie.  First time for two dogs for me.  They are inseperable and I rescued them both (mutts)  Dottie is 74 lbs and Debbie is 54 lbs.

I love dogs of any kind!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

I never had a pet when a child. I made up for it after I married. Cats and dogs both. Some at the same time. All of them no one wanted. Now just 2 cats. Bootsie who came up to me when I walked around an outside mall and Sandy adopted from a shelter.

Trusted Contributor

An orange tabby cat named Tiger.  To this day I have a special place in my heart for orange tabbies.  My current one is named Finnegan.

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

Yesterday I was helping my granddaughter with a name for her first pet, a puppy. 

It made me think of my first pet, a kitten named "Sweater" when I was about 5 or so.  We named her that because her markings made her look like she was wearing a sweater!

What was your first pet and what did you name it?

@NewgateFun question...When I was 4, my Dad purchased my first of many beagles. I named him Tippy...duh! Most beagles have a white tip on the end of their tails to spot them in the fields during hunting. 

When we filled out his AKC papers, there were hundreds of variations of beagles named Tippy, so we had to register him as “Shanus’s Little Tippy”. It went through.

Esteemed Contributor

When I answered I didn't see the first. I first had Happy when we moved to California. Girls were giving cats away. I named him Happy after Jack McLaines dog who had an exercise program on tv.

Snowball-girl--park when scouts were working-1st boy couldn't keep  

Missy--girl--at sons work

Living now--Bootsie--girl--from outside mall who adopted me by coming up to see when I walked by on my walk

Sandy at the shelter-1-1/2 years ago --last 2 living with me

dogs--Scooter 

Pepper

Super Contributor

My first pet found me playing in an empty field.  I was about three years old and so excited to show my mom my new 'duppy'  .. a cute little tan puppy with perk ears.  

I was in love ... and so was my mom.  

My little 'duppy' followed me everywhere and he insisted on sleeping with me every night.   

A few weeks later a neighbor came over and asked what my mom was thinking to let me sleep with a coyote pup.  What?  Mom was a city girl ... that 'duppy' looked like a dog to her.   

At any rate, little 'duppy' stayed with me for almost two years before he vanished.  Was it the call of the wild?  Did he get into someone's chicken coop?   I'll never know.  

But whenever I hear the song-dogs at night I remember my first love.