Trusted Contributor

Yesterday I was helping my granddaughter with a name for her first pet, a puppy. 

It made me think of my first pet, a kitten named "Sweater" when I was about 5 or so.  We named her that because her markings made her look like she was wearing a sweater!

What was your first pet and what did you name it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your first pet!

[ Edited ]

I come from a family of 5 siblings and while we always had dogs and cats, they belonged to the family. 

When I was dating my husband, I told him I wanted to get a dog when we got married and name it Gizmo. He surprised me for Valentines the year we were getting married and got me a Cocker Spaniel that of course I named Gizmo. She was the best. I would call her Gizzy. 

Edited to add Gizmo’s picture 

9CFC90CA-7BA2-40C5-9D58-BE2B7E30BD08.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My first pet was a medium sized black mutt (said with love!) that loved to roll around in the dirt, so we named him Dusty.

He would walk us to elementary school every day and then wait outside the school until we got out, to walk us home.

The local newspaper and TV stations heard about him doing that and he became quite a celeb, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

A rabbit named Sir Poops-a-lot.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A cat I named Suzy after my cousin Sue....I loved her & wished she could be my sister. Suzy was a sweet & patient cat, she let me push her around in a doll carriage & when she cuddled with me I'd tell her all my secrets....loved her too.

Respected Contributor

Bob the Dog.

Respected Contributor

When i was about 8 yrs old my father brought me home a tiny pomeranian in his jacket pocket.  She was my birthday present.  We called her Midge(t).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first pet was a dog named, Penny.  She was a Border Collie.  I was about 5 yrs. old when we got her.  She was good with us but she would  snap at other kids that came over to play with my siblings and I.  My grandparents took her to their farm (only 20 minutes from where we lived).  There she had a wonderful life and lived to be 17 yrs. old.  We saw her often.  Grandma and Grandpa loved her dearly and she loved all of us and was a wonderful, loyal, and important  part of all our family all through my growing up years.  She was still alive when I got married!

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Bob the Dog.

I had a black shih tzu named Bob Barker.

Honored Contributor

My first pet was a persian cat named Mimi.  My grandmother's name was Mimi, and I loved her so much that I named my cat after her.  She was a very sweet special cat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau