Esteemed Contributor

My collies have all loved to lay on top of my one floor vent in the living room when the air conditioning kicks on.  Every collie I've owned has done this.

Many years ago, the tag hanging from my dogs collar got caught in the vent.  When the dog got up, the vent came with him.  He completely freaked out, running through the house with the vent attached to his neck.  We caught him, got it off and, of course, he was fine, but for this reason, my dogs since then have never worn tags.  

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

My collies have all loved to lay on top of my one floor vent in the living room when the air conditioning kicks on.  Every collie I've owned has done this.

Many years ago, the tag hanging from my dogs collar got caught in the vent.  When the dog got up, the vent came with him.  He completely freaked out, running through the house with the vent attached to his neck.  We caught him, got it off and, of course, he was fine, but for this reason, my dogs since then have never worn tags.  

Ugghhh!

We too worry about the girls getting hung up on things, more risks than people can think of.

Our girls only wear collars if we are going to be inside/outside doors opening, etc.

For their tags we use plates like these, they are quiet and safe.

Brass Nameplates

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for that tag collar info. @Abrowneyegirl.  I've never seen anything like that before.  I think it's something I'll look into!  

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 You are very welcome.  Because the tag does not have as much 'movement' the engraving does not wear off and they last a long time.

Trusted Contributor

We now have our phone number only embroidered printed on our dogs collar purchased from eBay, our dog got his metal tag caught on a metal rack when he was younger and he was screaching like a pig, no more metal tags for us.

Image result for embroidery dog collars for dogsLike this found on google. With Matching leash with the same phone number.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden. Sadie & Molly don't wear their regular collars w/ tags unless we're out walking...beyond their invisible fence border. They have a chip. They're both rather small and wear the collar w/ the sensor for the fence. Not much room for a second collar.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden. Sadie & Molly don't wear their regular collars w/ tags unless we're out walking...beyond their invisible fence border. They have a chip. They're both rather small and wear the collar w/ the sensor for the fence. Not much room for a second collar.

We attached the brass plate with our contact info to their invisible fence collars, just in case the invisible fence fails.  Our fence failed once when our (or our neighbors) landscaper hit the invisible fence line and we had no idea.  

My BFF fence failed after a lighting strike, again they did not know until the one dog ran off after a rabbit.

Esteemed Contributor
Yes her name is on the tag. If someone finds her it's a easy way to prove ownership.
Esteemed Contributor
Chloe has her ID tag with name and number, rabies tag, and her city tag. Plus she has a microchip. If she gets lost there should be no reason they can't find her home if someone finds her. The post above mentioned if they know the dogs name it might keep it contained or calm. I don't think it is needed to state there is a microchip on the tag. Obviously if they find the dog with tags they have a number to call.
Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 - You can also get ID tags that actually slide onto the collar.  I got mine through amazon.  My dogs have always rough housed a lot and dangling tags frequently got pulled off no matter how strong the clip.

I have always had my dogs names on their tags along with my phone number and address.  They are all microchipped as well and my vet is listed on that file as well as all my local family members.