Valued Contributor

I won't go into the story of the puppy abuse caught on video in Santa Monica a couple of days ago, but I have a question that is just driving me crazy: In November of 2019 the President signed into law the PACT Agreement that makes animal cruelty a Federal offense, punishable with a fine or up to 7 years in prison, or both. Why are people who do this not being prosecuted under this law? Don't you think if this law were enforced it would deter a lot of people? I am sorry to bring up such a sad topic, but I know many of you are animal sympathizers and we should find out why this law is going unused. 

Honored Contributor

Re: You've All Now Heard of...

I doubt it would deter many.  Laws really only deter law-abiding citizens.  These people either don't think they will be caught or think what they are doing is totally acceptable at least in their minds.

If laws actually deterred people, we wouldn't have murders, rapes, burglaries, assaults, white collar crime, etc.  All these people think they can get away with their crime without getting caught.  Many of those crimes are actuallly on the rise right now with all the obstacles put on our police.  

Esteemed Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

I won't go into the story of the puppy abuse caught on video in Santa Monica a couple of days ago, but I have a question that is just driving me crazy: In November of 2019 the President signed into law the PACT Agreement that makes animal cruelty a Federal offense, punishable with a fine or up to 7 years in prison, or both. Why are people who do this not being prosecuted under this law? Don't you think if this law were enforced it would deter a lot of people? I am sorry to bring up such a sad topic, but I know many of you are animal sympathizers and we should find out why this law is going unused. 

@furbabylover 

I'm pretty sure I know the incident you're referring to. I'd prefer to see him have his man bits cut off. Ya know the ones that make him think he's such a big tough guy. What a major A******.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover    To answer your question, I guess we'd have to ask a Federal law enforcement officer.  I've never heard of anyone being charged under this act.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'm sure if he ends up in prison, the fellas there will take care of his "man bits".

Valued Contributor

I know, right? I wonder if PETA has gotten involved?

Valued Contributor

I just looked it up, and found an Indiana woman had been prosecuted under the PACT act for unbelievable torture to animals. I can't believe this law is not being used more.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMG    Smiley Sad

I do not know this story but animal abuse just kills me!

Honored Contributor

Why aren't many abusing the law in this and other ways being prosecuted?

It seems some people get away with anything.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Living in the official "Shelter Pet State" of Colorado, I can assure you that our laws involving animal abuse are taken seriously and those who violate them are not left without punishment.  When someone  reports any abuse then the case is usually looked upon quickly and the animals involved are taken care of immediately, questions asked later.

ETA -  The official Colorado state pet is 'Rescue Cats & Dogs'.