Valued Contributor

I am amazed that pet owners don't take fireworks seriously! We keep our dogs inside after 8:00. Thankfully we didn't have a big display this year. It was a drive in & only lasted about 20 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Hi @NickNack 

You always seem to be a well planner.  Smart to take Sweet Ava out earlier.  Of course, I'm sure your Sweet Henry was the man of the house & protected both of you.  Cat Wink  My DH took Connie out also but there a few in the neighborhood that had some fireworks going off during the day also. 

We've had them going on since May, off & on.  Our Police Dept. is fed up & trying their best to crack down on catching these creeps.

Well, I hope you had a ride if even a short one.  Does Ava do well on rides?  DH finally decided against bringing Connie with us because in the low 90s & if people are close, she's been getting snippy at times so he tries to avoid any confrontation.  She's already been getting upset in our backyard since we got new neighbors last week & they have a large dog also.  So far, their dog has been very quiet .. ours, uh, not so much! Smiley Mad

Respected Contributor

Hi @Sushismom 

So glad your Sweet Kitties slept thru the night.  Maybe they had happy dreams going on ..

I hadn't thought about the Vets' PTSD until my Mom mentioned it.  Yes, those unfortunate men & women who've experienced such bad & sad times.  I can't imagine the horrors they faced.  I thank them all from the bottom of my heart & honor them.

I would think most people would keep their pets indoor with fireworks going on.  It's not unusal for them to be freightened & run off from fear.  I hope they all have been found.

Today started off peaceful  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast   Ava does do well in the car.  I bought her a car harness so she could sit safely in the car and look out the window.  I was going to try it out on short trips before taking her on a longer one--not really out of town but just longer trips around town.  I ended up not going.  I'll take her to a drive-thru sometime this week though.  I hope she'll love the harness.

You're lucky your police department will respond to fireworks calls.  They're illegal in our county, but no one seems to care.  

Can Connie see your neighbor's dog?  I have dogs around me, too, but Ava can't see them.  They bark to each other sometimes though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Hi @SXMGirl 

Well, 3 out of 4 isn't bad, right?  Poor Bud .. I hope your other 3 furbabies grouped together to calm him down?

We don't know if the neighbor found his dog or not.  I don't think we know him so he's probably from one of the side streets.

You & your friends have kind hearts to watch over the kitty colony.  Thank you for caring.  

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

Connie loves rides!  She looks out & naps also.  When she's with us, I get stuck doing the driving both ways because "Poppy" sits in the back with Connie.

Both our Mayor & Police Dept. are very upset with all the illegal fireworks.  After receiving over 1,500 calls one week over them, they've been asking for the publics' help with any leads.  They did arrest someone last week with guns, fireworks, etc. - all unlicensed of course!

Well, I'm being interrupted once again as one of my senior kitties is circling the recliner for me to take her out.  She's giving me my marching orders, so guess I better listen to her.

Guess who runs our home?

Honored Contributor

Re: You're all Missed!

[ Edited ]

@sceniccoast wrote:

@NickNack 

Connie loves rides!  She looks out & naps also.  When she's with us, I get stuck doing the driving both ways because "Poppy" sits in the back with Connie.

Both our Mayor & Police Dept. are very upset with all the illegal fireworks.  After receiving over 1,500 calls one week over them, they've been asking for the publics' help with any leads.  They did arrest someone last week with guns, fireworks, etc. - all unlicensed of course!

Well, I'm being interrupted once again as one of my senior kitties is circling the recliner for me to take her out.  She's giving me my marching orders, so guess I better listen to her.

Guess who runs our home?

@sceniccoast   She's circling your chair to go out?  Do you walk your cats?

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

LOL, yes always .. or she may plant herself in front of me meowing, then circling, etc.  She's quite the boss.

I've posted before I have a harness/leash & use to bring her in the front yard to walk around.  Some people got a kick out of it driving by.  Last year, our newer neighbors hire a chemical sprayer for their lawn & still do.  Well, part of our property borders their driveway & so some got on our property.  Shortly afterwards, Ginger got very sick.  We connected it to her chewing the grass as always & the chemicals were on it.  Luckily, she got better before I brought her to the Vet.

Lesson learned!  No more chances, so I began to walk her only in the backyard.  Since they'll both be 19 next month, I just let her out the sliders & of course follow her around.  Her "elderly" legs don't move quickly enough to take off out of the yard.  This year, Fluffy has no interest in going out anymore.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack. I will definitely mention it.  Gabriel is going to his vet next week for annuals.     Considering he was upset for maybe an hour or so...I don't I would take anything further for him, unless he couldn't settle down, then of course I will.  Sometimes we are enough comfort,  sometimes not.  I did have to give Teaspoon a natural Quiet time supplement last 2 yrs...but not now because shes....well...Out of it?

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast   Did you post about your neighbor's chemicals making your cat sick?  I seem to remember reading that.  Nineteen years old is wonderful.  I've never had a cat live that long.

-Henry David Thoreau