Contributor

Recently my vet recommended I take my. 12 year old Yorkie to a doggie dentist/ oral surgeon because her teeth are in bad shape. The doc recommended removal of all her teeth

im concerned for her. She's older and I want her to have godd quality of life. I hate the thought of putting her through this and worry what her eating and her life would be like after

Have you gone through this with your pet?

Respected Contributor

I did not have this done to one of my dogs, but one of my dogs had to have all his teeth removed before I adopted him.  He was picked up as a stray, and immediately put on clindamycin for two weeks, then had all his teeth removed.  Unfortunately, his dental infection had gone untreated so long that now he has a heart murmur, and will for the rest of his life. 

I would urge you to visit the veterinary dentist with your dog, and hopefully they can allay your concerns.  It is far easier to prevent heart damage by prompt action than to try to treat heart disease after it has already taken hold.  Odds are your dog will also take Clindamycin for a period of time, that is standard treatment when a dog is going to have a dental cleaning that might include removals.  It could be that the dentist can save some of your dog's teeth, but even if she loses them all, she will do just fine.  Other than not eating hard biscuits any more, my Max does just fine, I put some canned food and warm water on his Fromm kibble and he cleans his bowl, and he loves his soft cookies and treats, and has even learned to eat a little fruit and cooked veggies now and again.  I am sure your Yorkie will be a much happier dog when her mouth doesn't hurt any more!

Regular Contributor

Yes, I had a 13 year old dachshund my vet said some her teeth needed to go, they wanted a lot of money ( not that that was an issue ) but she was getting older and her health was declining she was fine for another year, I never had it done because I did not want her put to sleep during the procedure it is not good for older dogs and I just want to leave her be.Hope this helped.

Valued Contributor

I understand your fear and concern.   My dog had to have 12 teeth pulled due to periodontal disease.  She did fine.  Your  dog should be able to eat soft foods with no problem.    NOT pulling the teeth will result in health problems for your dog. 

Honored Contributor

For health reasons, it's important to get those bad teeth pulled.  Often there are pockets of abscesses deep in the gums.  She'll have a better quality of life without them.  

One of my dogs had all except her fangs removed over time.  The vet caught them during annual teeth cleaning, so they weren't all pulled at the same time. 

She had no problem eating soft food.  

Honored Contributor

Years ago I had a Pekingese & didn't take him for dental cleanings until he got older & had to have a tooth pulled. He did just fine, though.  He was able to continue eating just fine.

I now have an 11 year old Tibetan Spaniel & since he was young I have gotten his teeth cleaned twice a year (non-anesthesia).  His teeth are in very good shape and he hasn't started having senior dog teeth problems.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Better No teeth than Bad teeth.  Just rememger that palque and tarter are Mostly Bacteria.  If the gums are inflamed or bleeding that bacteria can be getting into the bloodstream. You might want to consider a consult with the dental expert.   Your pup is the sort of patient they usually have sent to them.  They can look at pups mouth firsthand then discuss a plan or options.  Pre dental bloodwork/ antibiotics and the like.  You don't have to proceed with Anything you don't want to, but it's good to know.