Esteemed Contributor

Re: YOUR PET'S ECCENTRICITY?

I had my opened handbag on the living room chair, and the next day found a catnip mouse inside it. My cat ,Simone, must have been playing with her toy while on the chair. Or maybe she just wanted me to have the mouse as a present. Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My black Lab Buddy is a real good dog.... but  he goes manic over... nail clipping...  absolutely will have nothing to do with it. I think he will need to be drugged next time he gets his nails clipped... I do not think there is any way to do it. Even the vet said he just goes nuts when they attempt it.  Right now his nails are too long.   What to do.  I have tried EVERYTHING.

@SeaMaiden 

Kingston is the same way, don't even think about touching his paws.

His vet says the same thing, he'll have to be sedated. He won't even let our vet touch him at all.

He drops off his rabies vaccine for us to give to him, the last one took us a week before he allowed us to give it to him.

We've tried for 5 years now to 'condition' him to let us handle his paws in hopes of getting him used to letting us handle them to ultimately be able to cut his nails, but no way.

It's not happening.

We try to be super patient since he was badly abused and he's a really good boy except for letting you do anything to him.

Then he's terrified.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom     Yes. Just how Buddy is.  I also  had an Irish Setter  many years ago that was the same way about nail clipping. They once clipped his nails when he had a surgery... but in all the 15 years we had him... that was the only nail clipping he ever had. His nails were way to long, but, that was just the way it was with that dog. Putting him under was just to hard as he got older and risking the dangers of that. 

Respected Contributor

My 18-year-old Himalayan cat, Missy, gets into the shower stall after we're done showering and laps up whatever water is left. If there isn't any, she stands there and HOWLS till we take care of the situation.

And you haven't heard howling till you've heard Missy demanding "wild" (i.e., not in her bowl) water 

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

My cat, Storm, likes to rub my shoes before he'll eat. My other cat, Slick, who is neutered, goes on a "date" with my old housecoat. He drags it thru the house and meows at the top of his lungs and then tries to get it on with it. BTW, I've named the housecoat Mabel.

lol!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@KingstonsMom     Yes. Just how Buddy is.  I also  had an Irish Setter  many years ago that was the same way about nail clipping. They once clipped his nails when he had a surgery... but in all the 15 years we had him... that was the only nail clipping he ever had. His nails were way to long, but, that was just the way it was with that dog. Putting him under was just to hard as he got older and risking the dangers of that. 

@SeaMaiden 

With Kingston, we regularly walk him on concrete sidewalks or paved roads, to help wear down his nails.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

With Kingston, we regularly walk him on concrete sidewalks or paved roads, to help wear down his nails.

@KingstonsMom  That does not seem to be enough to grind them down🙁

Trusted Contributor

All three of these dogs are no longer with us but we had all three of them at the same time.

Abby had a love of hair scrunchies. I was always asking my daughter not to leave her scrunchies all over the house and she insisted that she wasn't. One day I was in our bedroom and I heard Abby quietly walking up the stairs and go walking down the hailway. So I peeked out the bedroom door and saw her go into the kid's bathroom and open one of the drawers in there and sneakinly take out a hair scrunchie. So she was opeing the drawers and getting them herself. She was a bit of a thief. Another time I was laying in bed on a weekend morning and she jumped into the bed and gave me several dollars that she had in her mouth. My son had a friend sleeping over that night and she apparently went into his bedroom and stole the money from his friends wallet. If we had visitors I always told them to keep their suitcases shut as she loved to help herself to their belongings. She was a Golden/springer cross.

Our Peekapoo Belle would scream at the top of her lungs as if she had been stepped on whenever my husband would take the dogs for their evening run because she got so excited. It used to scare the heck out of people who weren't expecting it.

Our ******zu/cocker cross, Rocky, was trained to ring a bell when he had to go out-so he would go ring the bell and then sit there and stare at me from across the room until someone got up to let him out.

I miss our crazy trio-bringing the three of them into the groomers was like a tornado entering the room.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx