Honored Contributor

Would This Bother You Re: Collar

I like to buy collars for Frankie.  This is the first time I've ever had a short haired dog.  I've never been able to see the collars before in my long haired dogs.  This is a suede collar with metal bones and crystals on it.  It only came in even numbered sizes and is about an inch too long.  I've thought about taking it to a shoe repair place and asking them to cut an inch off.  I would want them to be able to take the metal end piece off and replace it without damaging it, because that is a main part of the collar.  

Would it bother you that it's too long, or would you just leave it as is?  It's a nice collar that I ordered from Etsy.  Hers is suede.  This is a picture of her in it and also the picture from the Etsy seller so you can see the bones and crystals.  It came in leather and suede and in quite a few different colors.

fullsizeoutput_f.jpegil_570xN.439113237_ampo.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Would This Bother You Re: Collar

@NickNack  What does Frankie think about it?  If it doesn't bother Frankie and there is no risk of injury, I'd leave it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Love the color of the collar.  I think if the shoe repair shop used reasonable care they could get that end piece off and reattach it, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to take the risk.  I think I'd live with it like it is.  Wonder if you could attach a small dot of Velcro? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Love the color of the collar.  I think if the shoe repair shop used reasonable care they could get that end piece off and reattach it, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to take the risk.  I think I'd live with it like it is.  Wonder if you could attach a small dot of Velcro? 

@Kachina624  That's a great idea about attaching the dot of Velcro.  I think I'll try doing that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@NickNack  My 1 cents worthSmiley Happy 

The collars on my dogs are for identification.  I believe they need to be loose enough so, that for any reason what so ever they can slip the collar if they were to get caught by anything. No choking.

It appears in the pic that if you loosened Frankies lovely colored collar it would not hang down.

If I have to catch one of mine or put a leash on one I tighten the collar with my fingers or with the holes so they don't slip off. (Like the day the furnace guy did not fix the gate!!!!)

My Beagle is like a Greyhound, her neck is bigger than her head so I have to use a harness or a choker to go out.

Anyway, I felt this was safer for my two.

Honored Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

@NickNack  My 1 cents worthSmiley Happy 

The collars on my dogs are for identification.  I believe they need to be loose enough so, that for any reason what so ever they can slip the collar if they were to get caught by anything. No choking.

It appears in the pic that if you loosened Frankies lovely colored collar it would not hang down.

If I have to catch one of mine or put a leash on one I tighten the collar with my fingers or with the holes so they don't slip off. (Like the day the furnace guy did not fix the gate!!!!)

My Beagle is like a Greyhound, her neck is bigger than her head so I have to use a harness or a choker to go out.

Anyway, I felt this was safer for my two.

@Lapdog  Frankie has a big head!  I don't think the collar could slip off even if it was on the loosest notch.  I understand your reasoning though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack,   Frankie looks teed off.  However, I think the collar is fine.  At least it is loose and does not seem to bother her.  I am sorry I never put a collar on my cat.  She is 10 years old now and not sure if she would take to one.  The collar looks good with Frankie's coloring.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I read that Frenchies, Pugs, and other breeds with the smashed-in faces do better with halter-style collars, as they fit around their chest and don't ever squeeze their necks and compromise their airways..........

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I read that Frenchies, Pugs, and other breeds with the smashed-in faces do better with halter-style collars, as they fit around their chest and don't ever squeeze their necks and compromise their airways..........

@YorkieonmyPillow  I thought that, too, but asked her breeder if I should get her a halter, and she said no.  Frankie walks well on a leash and doesn't pull.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@NickNack,   Frankie looks teed off.  However, I think the collar is fine.  At least it is loose and does not seem to bother her.  I am sorry I never put a collar on my cat.  She is 10 years old now and not sure if she would take to one.  The collar looks good with Frankie's coloring.

@Katcat1  Yes, that's not a good picture of Frankie. LOL.  It's the only one I have of her in that collar though.

-Henry David Thoreau