Respected Contributor

Worried about our kitty - LATEST UPDATE - WITH PICTURE

[ Edited ]

For all you amazingly kind and loving people who have been so patient with my concerns Smokey and I are back from the Vet. 

She was dehydrated as you all suspected, so she got a shot for fluids.  The Vet did Xrays to make sure that nothing was lodged in her bowls. That was clear.  She took blood to check her liver and kidneys and to check for a pancreatic virus.  All clear and looking good with that.  She got a shot of Reglan to calm her stomach and hopefully increase her appetite.  She also got a shot of an antibiotic that is good for ten days.   The Vet said that cats are very sensitive to throwing up and their throat and esophagus can get scratched or scalded and they will stop eating and drinking for fear it will cause pain.  Through all of this, our poor Baby was shivering in fear.  It was hurtful for me to watch her so terrified.  I've never felt a cat actually shiver before.

The diagnosis was, that it is possible that she has eaten a cord or string that has gotten hung up somewhere in her esophagus. Because she is not eating or drinking, it is not moving.  We are hoping that once she starts eating, whatever it is ,will move.  If not, the Vet will have to do some kind of procedure to remove it. The Vet office will call and keep a check on her, and we are to be diligently looking for anything unusual in her feces.  Of course, if she starts throwing up again, I am to take her right back because that will mean it has not moved and probably is not going to.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of anything that might have cause this.  My Vet ruled out the spider theory and the flea medication theory.  I truly believe (and I mentioned it to the Vet and she agreed) that she has something lodged in her throat and we have narrowed it down to a ribbon that was tied to my granddaughters helium birthday ballon.  My granddaughters birthday was Thursday and she had tied her ballon to a chair in the kitchen, on the chair that Smokey likes to lay in.  Smokey will chew anything that is dangled in front of her and I truly believe now that she chewed a piece of that ribbon off and swallowed (or at least tried to) it.    

We will be keeping a close eye on her as we have all week end. Our poor little "Baby" has been thru the wringer and is now, peacefully lying in bed next to my husband (who also feels like he has been thru the wringer )  who is trying to get some rest.

I know you are all more experienced with cats than I am, but just to forewarn you, they can get into things you never even think about.  If the balloon actually turns out to be the problem, it will be the most expensive balloon ever.  

At any rate, my husband would not allow them to keep her overnight, so, we are still on duty so to speak.  This is not going to be an overnight fix, but, we at least we now have an idea of what we are looking at.   

I am grateful and appreciative to you all for being so kind and thoughtful through all of this.  Especially for your good thoughts and prayers.  And, if anything miraculous happens (like the passing of a ribbon) I will certainly update you.  It's good to know you have others who understand and care.  God Bless you all!!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Worried About Our Kitty -- UPDATE

Thank you so much for coming back to update us @Georgiagrama .  I'm sure you and your husband are exhausted.  I thought maybe she had swallowed something she shouldn't have.  I hope it comes out on its own.  Did you ask your Vet about an Emergency Vet clinic in case something happens overnight or on a weekend again?  I do hope she gets better on her own.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama 

Thank you for the update!

I'm glad Baby went to the Vet and that it appears at this point to not be anything serious or that can't be managed!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama   Thank you for letting us know.  I have always had to keep dangling things away from my cats because of that same reason.  Also always pick up any small object off the floor just in case.  I've had cats for years and there's always something new to learn every day.  God Bless.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama- There's no delicate way to put this, so I'll just say it.

If you're correct and your cat has ingested some kind of string or ribbon:  if she is able to pass it cleanly, fine.

If, however, you see the string coming out of her bottom, DO NOT try to just pull it out!  You MUST take her back to the vet ASAP.  Trying to pull it out can cause severe damage.

I can't stress this enough, as the normal reaction is to try to "help" get it out.

Yes, there are many dangers in the normal home for playful, inquisitive kittens, cats and dogs.  I hope your furbaby recovers completely.  Please let us know the outcome.

Esteemed Contributor

@Georgiagrama  Thank you for the update.  I am sure that you all are exhausted, so get some rest.  Follow the advice of the vet and do not hesitate to call if there are any concerns.  Hope that Smokey is feeling better.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@Georgiagrama  Prayers for your sweet baby !!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for letting us all know what happened at the doctor today.  While I’m sure this is not the outcome or diagnosis you and your husband had hoped for, you can rest a little easier now knowing that Baby is at least rehydrated and has some meds in her that may make her feel better.  And your vet is now on alert just in case something goes awry.  Sometimes just getting a little outside assistance will help an animal solve their problem on their own.

If, and I repeat, if the balloon ribbon does turn out to be the culprit, please don’t beat yourself up over it.  Young kittens (and puppies) will get into things you can never imagine.  As time goes on, you learn to keep things out of reach and they grow out of the urge.  The most important thing is that you caught the problem early and got appropriate treatment.  

I’m sorry that Baby was uncomfortable at the vet.  Unfortunately, oftentimes pets are.  They go there and get poked and prodded and stuck by perfect strangers.  What’s not to be afraid of?  Like us humans, sometimes we all have to undergo being uncomfortable for a while so that we can get feeling better.

I hope you, your husband, and Baby can get a little rest now.  Keep a close watch on her—she may snap back before you know it.  

🙏🐾🕊❤️

Respected Contributor

I have been thinking about you ... hubby and kitty all day ...after I read

your OP yesterday .... she is lucky to have you .... hope all continues to

go well .....

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart!  I just saw this.  I hope your little lady? does well on the meds and has some relief.  Maybe some cuddling will help.