Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Worried About My 16 yr. Old Dachsund

@moon_gazerwrote:

Well, I am back to give an update on Mickey after our visit to the vet. It seems that the small dose of lasix I have been giving Mickey is the amount they normally give a 15lb. dog. My Mickey is 25 lbs. So, the vet said to double his lasix dose and added Enalapril for blood pressure. He said that most dogs with congestive heart failure as serious as Mickey's is are on Vetmedin, lasix, and Enalapril. The vet that initially put Mickey on the lasix 1 &1/2 yrs. ago had told me that if he had to take a large dosage for any extended time, it would seriously damage his kidneys and result in kidney failure. So, now this vet is saying it won't hurt him. Hmmmm, makes me wonder. We will try this and see how it goes from here. 

Thanks for all your well wishes.

@moon_gazer  Thank you for coming back to post this.  All of my dogs with heart failure took enalapril, lasix and Vetmedin.  It didn't cause any kidney damage, but they did have to have blood work every six months to check.  Did your Vet say anything about that? Regardless, he has to have the higher dose of lasix to live.  I hope he improves greatly with these additions.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do not give your dog co Q10.  He is in heart failure (versus a heart murmur) -- a world of difference. Vetmedin and enalapril affect the heart and circulatory system in complex and distinct ways that coQ10 can exacerbate in a bad way. (I'm the poster who had dogs and cats with heart failure).  There are moments for supplements; this isn't. Also, heart disease is not the same in people, dogs and cats, although some of the same medicines do.  Maddening, I know.

Mickey's heart failure has worsened and he now needs extra lasix and enalapril to survive. Yes extra lasix is tough on the kidneys but one thing is sure for now, the bad heart, and the kidneys so far are ok. Your vet has to err on protecting the organ that is in far more serious shape, the heart.

To support the kidneys, keep his water bowls immaculately clean and give him the highest quality filtered or bottled water.  Sounds crazy but it helps enormously.

Hang in there. That he is 16 and only now, 11/2 years into it, getting his first med tweak is amazing! Love him like you always have!

Valued Contributor

Hoping the changes in his medications will help!  Good luck to you and your sweet Mickey.

Honored Contributor

Just stopped by to see how he's doing.....Blessings

Honored Contributor

Not to add confusion or more worry, or even more "homework," @moon_gazer, but here's an article you may even want to share with your trusted vet.  

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/5_4/features/Congestive-Heart-Failure-in-Dogs_5443-1.html

It may or may not be valuable for you and your guy.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

My little Mickey says "thanks for your prayers". As the vet suggested, we have increased his lasix dosage and added the enalapril since Monday. He still begins to pant some in the evening, but, he does seem better. During the day, he breathes normally and is his playful self. Thank you all for your caring and concern. We all love our pets - I think they are one of God's gifts to us. Have you ever stopped to think that God spelled backward is Dog. HeartIMG_2300.JPG

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer

Great news on Mickey!  Our prayers for him continue!

Respected Contributor

Mickey is a cutie. I am glad he is doing well.

doxie