Valued Contributor

Re: Worried About My 16 yr. Old Dachsund

@moon_gazerPrayers for Mickey from me. He looks so young.

I had one of my Dachshunds live until she was 16. 

Ask the vet about salt intake.  If it makes a difference as it does in humans, perhaps you could cook for Mickey and track his weight each day.  If a human gains 3-5 # they must contact their Dr.

Take his dog food ingrediants in to the vets.

Reducing the salt may help remove the fluid.  Very best wishes.

Lapdog

Super Contributor

Well, I am back to give an update on Mickey after our visit to the vet. It seems that the small dose of lasix I have been giving Mickey is the amount they normally give a 15lb. dog. My Mickey is 25 lbs. So, the vet said to double his lasix dose and added Enalapril for blood pressure. He said that most dogs with congestive heart failure as serious as Mickey's is are on Vetmedin, lasix, and Enalapril. The vet that initially put Mickey on the lasix 1 &1/2 yrs. ago had told me that if he had to take a large dosage for any extended time, it would seriously damage his kidneys and result in kidney failure. So, now this vet is saying it won't hurt him. Hmmmm, makes me wonder. We will try this and see how it goes from here. 

Thanks for all your well wishes.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

Hi @moon_gazer

I'm glad you checked.  Not a comforting solution, I think.

Did the vet mention going for periodic checks for kidney function?  

As I mentioned, my dog just got diagnosed with Cushing's and once she starts medication, she'll have to be periodically tested to see how it's working and how it's affecting her.

I wish you and Mickey much success and hope you both will be OK going forward.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

Hi @moon_gazer

I'm glad you checked.  Not a comforting solution, I think.

Did the vet mention going for periodic checks for kidney function?  

As I mentioned, my dog just got diagnosed with Cushing's and once she starts medication, she'll have to be periodically tested to see how it's working and how it's affecting her.

I wish you and Mickey much success and hope you both will be OK going forward.

Yes, we have been going in every 3-4 months for bloodwork to check on his kidney function. At one point, his kidneys even got better, but, I worry on that aspect now that the vet has increased his lasix dose. I know he can't live forever and, of course, I will never be ready to let him go. I'm sure you can understand.

I wish you much success, also, with your sweet dog's treatment for Cushings. 

Honored Contributor

In addition to reducing salt like one poster said, look into supplements like Denamarin (or just milk thistle) to help organs function, as well as Co-Q 10 for heart function.

My dog has a heart murmur (so far not super bad) and the Co-Q 10 is keeping it a bit more stable.

I'm one who believes in helping the body heal itself, or at least help support any healing process.

Best wishes, @moon_gazer

Respected Contributor

@moon_gazer  I hope your sweet baby gives you several more years of love and companionship.  The vets do their best, but you never know how things will turn out.  My friend's pit was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer over 5 years ago.  They gave him an experimental drug until it was not allowed by the FDA (ridiculous).    He is still with her and is going on 12. I hope the new meds you are giving allow for a better quality of life and a lot more puppy licks and hugs.  

Super Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

In addition to reducing salt like one poster said, look into supplements like Denamarin (or just milk thistle) to help organs function, as well as Co-Q 10 for heart function.

My dog has a heart murmur (so far not super bad) and the Co-Q 10 is keeping it a bit more stable.

I'm one who believes in helping the body heal itself, or at least help support any healing process.

Best wishes, @moon_gazer

@GingerPeach 

Do you give the same Co-Q10 that we humans take, and if so, how do you know how much to give? 

Respected Contributor

YiiipppeeeeeMore prayers for Mickey!

doxie

Honored Contributor

Hope that the increased dosage helps.

I was wondering. My brother had congestive heart failure. And I was wondering if the regiment my brother was put on would also help dogs. His medication is closely monitored - check - you are doing that. But he also now exercises every day and has drastically changed his diet. He said he hasn't felt this good in years. 

Over a year ago, he was so weak he could not walk from his truck into the Emergency Room. A nurse happened to see him and got a wheel chair. He was that weak. And today he looks like the picture of health. 

Glad you are taking such good care of him. He looks like a sweetheart.

Honored Contributor

Hi @moon_gazer

I bought this Co-Q 10 for my dog from amazon (Stay Well pets liquid).  It's liquid, and there is a chart on the box showing how much dosage per weight of the dog.  I find liquid is easier than capsules.  It has a dropper for squeezing the amount.  I mix it with her food.

I can't guarantee this is the best product, but so far it's doing something.  I didn't expect miracles but I like knowing it's helping.

She tolerates it well.

Also, read the reviews to see if there is anything that gives you pause, and take a look at other brands.  You may find you or your dog prefer another formulation.  Search "Co-Q 10 for dogs" on amazon and you'll see lots of them pop up.

Stay-Well Pets Liquid CoQ10 For Pets, 30 ml