Honored Contributor

Re: Worried About My 16 yr. Old Dachsund

@moon_gazer

What a sweet beautiful boy he is!

I bet all of us who see him have already fallen in love.

I'll be praying for sure-he will get lots of love and prayers!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

My thoughts are with you. I had a tiny Dixie that lived to be 18. Towards the end he was blind and hard of hearing, but was a happy loving little old man. I carried him everywhere and he would stay very close to me all the time,including at night, obviously he slept between my hubby and me!! We just tried to make him as happy and contented as we could. Please know you and your "baby" are being thought about by many caring people.

Valued Contributor

@moon_gazer  Bless your heart.  I have been owned by dachshunds for over 44 years and have 5 now, one with a liver shunt,  My babies came to me as babies and lived their lives out with me.  They are forever in my heart and a part of my soul.  I live on today because of my love for my babies.  I am a widow and they are pretty much perfect.  Love that baby evey day and every minute.  MyAmsel died of cancer and I watched her die for a year.  I have a new look on things, Lilly wiith the liver shunt has only a few years to live.  I am not watching Lilly die, I am watching her live.  Blessings. 

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

@moon_gazer Take care sweet girl.  Mickey is already a winner having you for a mom, he's one lucky little guy.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

You know I've never been a dog person, I've just always had cats, nothing against dogs just always had cats.

But my youngest daughter in Denver adopted a dog last year.  I spent Thanksgiving with her and her furbaby and I fell in love.  Her name is Luna and she's wonderful (like her Mom).

I've sent Luna so much 'stuff' my daughter says, "Enough Mom"  I'm running out of room!  Ha!

Luna goes sking, paddleboarding, fishing, you name it.  She has all the gear for everything.  She even wears Redskins shirts, and National's shirts (courtesy of Grandma). 

I won't forget about your baby.  You take care of yourself too.  OK?

@Annabellethecat66 -- really you seem to be a truly kind person. Thank you for your comments. I've always been a "dog person", myself. However, for the last 3 years I have been a volunteer at a local "no kill" animal shelter and I must say that there have been a few kitties that I fell in love with. Never had realized before what cute personalities they can have, just like dogs. All my life I have had dogs, but, I got my Mickey about a year after I retired and got closer to him than any other dog I have ever had. Also, he came into my life 2 years after I lost my 27 yr. old son to cancer and I didn't think I could live another day.  My little Mickey got me through some tough times. Again, thank you so much.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Super Contributor

@on the baywrote:

@moon_gazer

What a sweet beautiful boy he is!

I bet all of us who see him have already fallen in love.

I'll be praying for sure-he will get lots of love and prayers!

@on the bay Thank you so much..... Blessing to you!

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

Sending prayers and hugs to your little guy

Valued Contributor

What a cutie ! He Looks great for a 16 yr. old dog ! He will let you know what he’s able to do comfortably.( Some good days and some not so good days .)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Your guy looks cute as well as intelligent.  Those eyes!

I wish you both well.

My dog is about 16, too, @moon_gazer, and she not only was just diagnosed with Cushing's disease, she was diagnosed with a heart murmur last year.  So far no medication for that as it isn't all that severe.  Thank goodness for small "favors."  Though we about to start medication for the Cushings as soon as the vet gets back to me about dosage early next week.

All the best to you both!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

You are a wonderful and loving mom.

I understand how scary and stressful this time is.

Prayers, thoughts and hugs to the both of you.

Trusted Contributor

@moon_gazer

Praying for your sweet Mickey and you, also. Hopefully a medicine adjustment is all that is needed. Keep loving him, he feels it and he will keep living for that love.