Honored Contributor

Re: World's Oldest Golden Has 20th Birthday!

@Silver Lining   The vet told my daughter, when he starts refusing food, to bring him in to be put down.  He already refuses "treats."

The vet does not believe he is in pain.  No arthritis.  His gait is still good for a dog his age.  He just does everything in slow motion.  Breathing is slightly labored.

So far, he goes outside to the bathroom then immediately goes back inside the house....

No longer hangs out on porch or patio....

No longer wants to take walks....

No longer plays....

My daughter has to bring his food bowl to him.  He now refuses to go to his feeding station to eat but will go there to drink water.  He eats lying down but drinks water standing.

Sleeps & naps in unlocked crate instead of his beds (2) all day.  He takes his paw to close the door. Smiley LOL

Grandson has put a blanket cover over the crate as it appears the dog now perfers privacy & semi darkness.

This is my daughters dog.  She is the Alpha in the pack.  SIL tells me she is taking all this in stride as she has been looking/shopping around for chocolate lab puppy.

His birthday is in Oct.  SIL thinks that is when my daughter will have him put down. Smiley Sad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Why such a short life span for a typical golden retriever? 

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Silver Lining   The vet told my daughter, when he starts refusing food, to bring him in to be put down.  He already refuses "treats."

The vet does not believe he is in pain.  No arthritis.  His gait is still good for a dog his age.  He just does everything in slow motion.  Breathing is slightly labored.

So far, he goes outside to the bathroom then immediately goes back inside the house....

No longer hangs out on porch or patio....

No longer wants to take walks....

No longer plays....

My daughter has to bring his food bowl to him.  He now refuses to go to his feeding station to eat but will go there to drink water.  He eats lying down but drinks water standing.

Sleeps & naps in unlocked crate instead of his beds (2) all day.  He takes his paw to close the door. Smiley LOL

Grandson has put a blanket cover over the crate as it appears the dog now perfers privacy & semi darkness.

This is my daughters dog.  She is the Alpha in the pack.  SIL tells me she is taking all this in stride as she has been looking/shopping around for chocolate lab puppy.

His birthday is in Oct.  SIL thinks that is when my daughter will have him put down. Smiley Sad

@Mz iMac 

that sounds so familiar, unfortunately. It was a steady decline with mine that started slowly and lasted quite a while. Later, when the quality of life was so compromised I had to do the humane, kindest thing. It was one of the most heart-wrenching things I've ever done. I try to take comfort in knowing that the years of unconditional love are worth everything.