Honored Contributor

Re: Winter Olympics/Dog Meat Trade (Disturbing)

wrote:

wrote:

We're boycotting the Winter Olympics in our home due to this horrific practice. We all know how they are treated/killed, absolutely disgusting.

South Koreans eat 1M dogs annually and even though their government requested they stop serving them in restaurants (for appearance sake) during the Olympics and even offered them subsidies, the restaurants are continuing to serve.

Just my own personal opinion/conviction.

No link due to graphic photos, but you can google it if you choose to, it's in the news.

Did you boycott the Winter Olympics when they were in Canada?  They serve horse. Norway does too.  

Do they boil them alive like the dogs @GSPgirl?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A close relative is married to a Korean who was naturalized when he was 14.  He says that is their culture and dogs were not thought of as pets there for the most part and just livestock like cows, pigs and chickens are here.  While I find it disgusting since we love our pet dogs, I can't really find fault with these people for this.  It does appear that now the practice is becoming less and less a cultural thing as western influence is taking hold over there.  I guess it's just as disturbing for anyone from India where cows are sacred seeing beef eaten everywhere here!!

Honored Contributor

What’s disturbing the most to me is that they are not adhering to the request to stop serving “it” in restaurants out of respect for others visiting during the Olympics. 

Maybe if this practice was contained to their homes and others not subjected to it while eating in restaurants there, it could be less disgusting for the time involved.

As a way of life, I cannot condone this practice wherever it occurs. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

What’s disturbing the most to me is that they are not adhering to the request to stop serving “it” in restaurants out of respect for others visiting during the Olympics. 

Maybe if this practice was contained to their homes and others not subjected to it while eating in restaurants there, it could be less disgusting for the time involved.

As a way of life, I cannot condone this practice wherever it occurs. 

I'm sure there is a lot about different cultures that we can't condone.  Doesn't make the people bad, it means they are different.  You don't have to like it and you don't have to go there or read about it or see it.  Why on earth should they be forced to submit to our standards in their country?  

I am not defending all the practices I don't know about that.  But I don't think which animals they choose to eat should be our business.  I do think that all animals should be treated humanely.  

Valued Contributor

I agree everyone should educate themselves on such matters.  My grandson was there for a year and refused to eat anything off his military facility.  He wasn't in comfy Soul but on the DMZ and said nothing couldl sway him to eat anything on the "economy."  Also polution by the US has nothing to do with killing and eating dogs.  That is not being discussed in this forum.  A very disturbing topic.

Valued Contributor

Bashing Americans has nothing to do with eating dogs.  I also have been to many, many countries and have seen things I cringed to my toes to see it.  It made me a better American.  I work to strive and make our wonderful country even better by volunteering where I am needed, food drives, clothing drives, medical/personal item drives going to poor countries.  My daughter is a dental hygienist with a masters and volunteers a month of her life every year to work in poor countries with a medical team.  Last year it was Mongolia.  Their living conditions are not great but she is going again this year and believes in what she is doing.  We are not Ugly Americans, just misunderstood.  I guarantee she isn't therre for any political reason.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not know what is more disturbing the subject manner or the arguments on this thread?  This thread should be removed for both reasons.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964

There are many 'disturbing' threads on these forums, including the ones about the 13 abused children/adults and more and all should be available for opinions/views.

Sticking my head in the sand is never the answer for me, personally.

But I DID say in my thread title "disturbing" so you could have just passed it by, rather than call for it to be deleted because YOU don't like thinking about or discussing this reality.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Meagan Duhamel has arranged for a second dog to be taken home to Canada from Pyeongchang during the South Korean Winter Olympics to save it from the dog meat industry.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

We're boycotting the Winter Olympics in our home due to this horrific practice. We all know how they are treated/killed, absolutely disgusting.

South Koreans eat 1M dogs annually and even though their government requested they stop serving them in restaurants (for appearance sake) during the Olympics and even offered them subsidies, the restaurants are continuing to serve.

Just my own personal opinion/conviction.

No link due to graphic photos, but you can google it if you choose to, it's in the news.

I just saw this!!! I know all about these horrific farms going on now. I read they are continuing this right now. I am so sick to my stomach @KingstonsMom How could I have missed this. I can try to post a LINK by the news but I doubt the Q will allow it......I could not finish viewing it. THANK YOU. Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-