Honored Contributor

Re: Winter Olympics/Dog Meat Trade (Disturbing)

@SeaMaiden

I agree, but cooking them alive was the worst for me.

And another one where a little girl found her missing pet dog in one of their cages, but couldn't afford to buy him back from the meat vendor......heartbreaking.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I agree, but cooking them alive was the worst for me.

And another one where a little girl found her missing pet dog in one of their cages, but couldn't afford to buy him back from the meat vendor......heartbreaking.

@KingstonsMom  OMG.... I can not stand it ....

Valued Contributor

It is a third-world countryl  What do we expect.  Why ever it is allowed to be held there I have no idea.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It is a third-world countryl  What do we expect.  Why ever it is allowed to be held there I have no idea.  

South Korea is a third world country?  I think not.  I have visited South Korea and they are on par with the US as far as I could see.  The only way I knew I wasn’t in the US was the amount of Asians who live there and the currency they use. They have the same modern lifestyle as we do and are very educated people. Many of them speak English.

American products are sold everywhere. I purchased Chapstick at a corner neighborhood store. I was surprised that they had it.  

As far as eating dogs. Most people in South Korea do not do that and find the practice disgusting.  They are not the only country in Asia who’s people eat dogs...most of them do.  People in Mexico and Switzerland eat dogs meat too.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

They eat dogs.  We eat chicken, pigs and sheep.  Some people even enjoy some tasty horsemeat.   What's the difference?   If they don't judge me, I won't judge them. 

@chrystaltree  I suppose if you had a pet pig or sheep who was near to your heart, you’d be disgusted by people eating them, right?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

So. Korea isn't a third world country.  I don't know why you would think that.  So. Korea is an wealthy industrial country.  Like it or not, it's big wide world out there and there are many cultural and dietary differences.  This is just one of them.  Animals are animals and it's foolish to say that it's ok to consume some but not others.  It's also laughable to suggest that there is a kind and humane way to kill them for food.  That's hypocrisy at it's worst.  I can say that if I visited So. Korea, I'd be so afraid of a meat dish that I'd probably only eat vegetables.  But there are things that people in some areas of this country eat that will never pass my lips too.   

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I know other countries eat dogs, but they don't believe that torturing them enhances their libido, as far as I know.

As far as how the trade is doing now, you may be interested in this video posted yesterday  on USA Today re: this subject:

"PYEONGCHANG, South Korea – As the Winter Olympics approach this week, figure skater Meagan Duhamel still shudders to think the dog she rescued from South Korea might have ended up on someone’s dinner plate.

Duhamel, a Canadian, is a contender with Eric Radford in the pairs competition and heads to Pyeongchang in search of gold, as well as another dog that she can save from slaughter."

Just google USA Today for the rest of the article.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I understand what you are saying about eating animals we love who are part of our family and not eating them.

I have seen children raise farm animals who they dearly love.  They take them to state and county fairs and sleep beside them every night knowing that they will be auctioned off to the local butcher shop.  These kids are our future farmers.  My heart breaks for them and their animals, but they do it again and again each year for money to go to college.

i know that I couldn’t do it, but I do not judge these kids.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

They eat dogs.  We eat chicken, pigs and sheep.  Some people even enjoy some tasty horsemeat.   What's the difference?   If they don't judge me, I won't judge them. 

@chrystaltree  I suppose if you had a pet pig or sheep who was near to your heart, you’d be disgusted by people eating them, right?

@Shanus

Not only that, but how would you feel knowing that they were cooked alive?

That seems to be the point that some are missing.

Honored Contributor

Humans odd creatures. We justify inhuman or degrading actions. Be it treatment of animals or someone not of our culture. Lesson in each law of action. Hope one day our species involves an over comes such practices. Nothing more tragic than reading justified inhumanity.