Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Calminthe heart - We are going through the same thing. Our dog has not eaten breakfast or dinner somedays. We took him to the Vet and they checked him over and ran tests and he is fine.

We have tried different foods and he seems to like the food. So we buy a case and he stops eating.

We even started buying dehydrated food. He seemed to like it. Then he stopped eating it.

We thought it was maybe the heat. But then he likes to spend hours every afternoon sitting out front in the yard. My husband has to drag him back into the AC. My husband also takes him for 3 mile walks every morning. 

He has HORRIBLE teeth. He was a rescue and the Vet seems to think that he spent quite a bit of time in a cage. He wore away all his front teeth. And he has 2 large indentations in his jaw from being worn away from the wire. So we keep him on alot of soft food. And the dry food we make sure is small kibble.

We went back to using fresh chicken as a starter. We need to get him to actually go near his bowl. And the chicken helps. Then we went back to Natural Balance canned dog food. We were buying the Nutrish plastic tubs of dog food, he stopped eating it. 

If he doesn't eat his food. I generally sit on the floor and spoon feed him. Most of the time he will eat. But numerous times he just gets up and walks away. 

Wish I could help. But I guess just keep trying. I hope you find something that works.

I feel so bad for your dog and you.  It is so hard to watch your baby suffer. 

I wrote a separate post with an update on my dog.

I was in my 60s before I adopted my first pet, my dog.  I can't imagine my life without him now.  I wish I'd had pets ages ago, particularly when my kids were young.  My kids have dogs now too.  It makes my heart smile.

My dog spent his first 2 years in 10x4 cage with 4 larger dogs.  He was horribly abused and neglected.  He never ate or drank out of a bowl and all he got was what fell on the ground after the bigger dogs ate.  He's come a very long way but even after having him for 4.5 years, he's still skittish and afraid of many things.  However, he knows I super-love him and that he's safe and protected. 

Honored Contributor

Glad to hear he is okay!! Bless that boy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I'm so glad your dog is better now!  I know that was scary.  It sounds like your dog had a rough beginning.  I'm glad you adopted him and you found each other.  There's nothing like the love of a dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

CalminTheHeart

Thank You! What good news. That your dog was able to pass the blockage. Isn't it wonderful how the body is often able to work things out? And he is back to his old self again? Enjoy your time together.

Our dog sounds quite similar to your dog. He is skittish and afraid of so many things. And he was one of the youngest of 10 dogs. But well worth the effort.

Enjoy your guy. 

PS I guess you are relieved to have to pick up after him now.Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart thanks for the update.  Glad to know your fur baby is doing well.  Woofs 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Update.  

Finally!  My dog is doing so much better.

During the last month, he'd get better for a day or two, then regress, get better, regress. He lost 4 pounds in just the first 2 weeks.  We saw the vet 4 times and found out he had an inflammation of the pancreas.  My little guy is on special food now and has eaten normally for the last 5 days. He's back to his normal self. I'm so relieved.  It's been a long four weeks for him (and me).

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart  I'm so glad that things have taken a turn for the better.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau