Frequent Contributor

Re: Why no mention of dog farming for food in Korea

[ Edited ]

It is against the law in the USA to slaughter horses.    There animal abuse problems here certainly need to be addressed but it is no excuse for South Korea.  It is not against the law to eat dogs in South Korea.   I watched a news report on OAN about the leadership in South Korea going around to the restaurants that serve dog and paying them off not to serve it during the Olympics.    Most restaurants turned down the money.   There are several restaurants right near the Olympic venue serving dog on the menu.  

Respected Contributor

As a dog lover, I find it sad. But I remember a lesson that I received as a child. It was about Taiwan (then Formosa.) I remember they were asked if they ate hot dogs and they said they did eat real dogs and cats. I had a friend from Hong Kong who admitted to me that dogs are an item on the menu. It's cultural. 

But honestly, in a region where human rights weren't exactly high on the list, you can't really expect them to extend these rights to animals. Animals are mistreated worldwide and especially where humans don't even have have most basic necessities.  

Honored Contributor

@I1ST5XSwrote:

It is against the law in the USA to slaughter horses.    There animal abuse problems here certainly need to be addressed but it is no excuse for South Korea.  It is not against the law to eat dogs in South Korea.   I watched a news report on OAN about the leadership in South Korea going around to the restaurants that serve dog and paying them off not to serve it during the Olympics.    Most restaurants turned down the money.   There are several restaurants right near the Olympic venue serving dog on the menu.  

Horses are slaughtered in the US to make dog food.  Right here in Lancaster, PA, the Amish bring their old tired horses and sell them at auction to brokers,who sell them to dog food companies.  Our newspaper has articles about this quite often.  So far, the practice isn’t Illegal, but many people don’t like it.

Frequent Contributor

On March 12, 2013 Senators Landrieu and Graham introduced S. 541, the Safeguard American Food Exports (SAFE) Act of 2013. The SAFE Act amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to deem equine (horses and other members of the family Equidae) parts an unsafe food additive or animal drug. The SAFE Act also prohibits the knowing sale or transport of equines (or equine parts) in interstate or foreign commerce for human consumption. An identical version of the bill, H.R. 1094, was introduced in the House of Representatives by Representatives Patrick Meehan (R-PA) and Jan Schakowsky (D-IL).[47]

There were two slaughter houses here in Texas that slaughtered horses but they were shut down in 2005.  I thought all slaughter houses were shut down that slaughtered horses and that is why they are now Inhumanely trucked to Mexico for slaughter.   There is a bill that now that is trying to prohibit them being shipped out of the country for slaughter.  

Honored Contributor

I see no reason for us, as a nation, to be perfect before we point out imperfections in other places.  One does not excuse the other, and one does not make either any better or worse. 

There is no reason we can't call out or fight for better conditions for all, whether human or animal.  

Saying people in other areas (or here) are worse off, or our animals here are also not treated well, seems to me to just be dropping the ball.  The more outspoken everyone is, the sooner the abuses of any kind (to animal or to human) will be highlighted and, hopefully, stopped.  Don't stop speaking out just because someone tells you, "Oh, it's happening in your country."  Just say, "I'm against that, too."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

I see no reason for us, as a nation, to be perfect before we point out imperfections in other places.  One does not excuse the other, and one does not make either any better or worse. 

There is no reason we can't call out or fight for better conditions for all, whether human or animal.  

Saying people in other areas (or here) are worse off, or our animals here are also not treated well, seems to me to just be dropping the ball.  The more outspoken everyone is, the sooner the abuses of any kind (to animal or to human) will be highlighted and, hopefully, stopped.  Don't stop speaking out just because someone tells you, "Oh, it's happening in your country."  Just say, "I'm against that, too."

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point.  While I would not expect perfection, there is way to much work to be done here before we start "calling out" other countries and cultures.  One only needs to see what happens in the slaughter houses or drive thru the country seeing baby calfs chained up in rows to know where efforts should be concentrated.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Frequent Contributor

completely agree Homegirl.

Spoiler
👍🏻
Honored Contributor

That's not what I said, @CrazyDaisy

I said we can, and should, call out ALL instances of cruelty.  I never said to ignore what is happening right here.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeachwrote:

That's not what I said, @CrazyDaisy

I said we can, and should, call out ALL instances of cruelty.  I never said to ignore what is happening right here.

And as I said, we need to fix things here BEFORE we start "calling out" others.  We just disagree.  As they say, "put your own house in order first"

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@JavaQueenwrote:

As a dog lover, I find it sad. But I remember a lesson that I received as a child. It was about Taiwan (then Formosa.) I remember they were asked if they ate hot dogs and they said they did eat real dogs and cats. I had a friend from Hong Kong who admitted to me that dogs are an item on the menu. It's cultural. 

But honestly, in a region where human rights weren't exactly high on the list, you can't really expect them to extend these rights to animals. Animals are mistreated worldwide and especially where humans don't even have have most basic necessities.  

@JavaQueen  I lived in Hong Kong for 2 years and NEVER saw DOG anything on the menu.  We went to all types of restaurants, and were exposed to many different kinds of food from different regions. Never dog.  Thank fully.