Contributor

Re: Why is my dog peeing so much?

Cant have any kitties.  Im very allergic to them  Im very sure he would still be jealous. Had Honey the yorkiePoo when I got him.  He was very bad with her.  I had to really be stern with him or he would try to shove her around.  If I was brushing her he woulds jump on her.  The only thing she wouldnt let him get away with was stealing her Kong when they had them. Like people,every one is different

Honored Contributor

@nougatI don't know what Cushings Disease is, but it seems the dog experts have a strong opinion that it could be the problem. 

Maybe this is a stretch, but do you let your dog run around loose?  Could she have gotten into anything and eaten something she shouldn't?  The reason I say this is because of something that happened here.  We live in a subdivision but have a wooded section on our property.  We let our dog run in our yard and he's good about staying in our yard.  He's not one to have accidents in the house  but out of the blue he started being unable to control his bladder and had the squirts.  I was bringing him outside every couple of hours or he would have an accident in the house.  I brought him to the vet.  She did a fecal analysis to test for parasites and it came back negative.  She put him on an antibiotic and an anti-diarrheal.  He eventually got better.  Right at the same time, when he'd get outside he'd run right to our wood shed - an area where my husband has our fireplace wood stacked and there's a plastic tarp covering it to keep the wood dry.  Anyway, the dog running down there was going on for several days.  I'd shoo him away and he'd complete his business.  One afternoon, I let him out and he ran straight to the wood shed where he came practically nose to nose with a possum.  Talk about scarey!  They had a big of a standoff and I was frightened that the possum would lunge and bite him.  My dog obeyed when I told him to "leave it" and possum ran into the wood shed.  I have no proof, but I wonder if the dog ate possum droppings and maybe there was something in it that made him sick.  Other than that possiblity, there was nothing different in his diet.  In any case, the possum was dealt with and our dog recovered quickly.  Just a thought for you to consider other possibilities until you know for sure what's going on with your little girl.

Super Contributor

@tweets12

thats funny!  dogs do have their personalities and moments! my Tote is very jealous of any humans that talk to me, she wants ALL my attention and lets me know when we have company over!   i just hold her little paw and she calms down Heart

what is Kong? a kind of chew bone?

Super Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

wow thats a story! thanks for telling it!  we live in a suburb with no woods, just neighborhoods, but there are critters here too. just saw a deer in my yard yesterday! scared me!

she roams the yard but always in my sight. but anything is possible.

Im glad you figured your mystery out. hope we do too!

Honored Contributor

@nougat

Kong toys come in different sizes for different dogs.  Below are some ideas for filling.  They're typically used to keep a dog's attention and distract him/her when necessary (for example, to keep their mind on food instead of on being alone).  They're designed to make the dog take some time in extracting the food.  (They are dishwasher safe!)

Image result for kong toys

Kong Stuffing Tips

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@nougat

I just found this also.  I didn't realize there were purple ones for senior dogs who need something softer.  Wish I'd researched that a few years ago.

Image result for kong toys

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Is your dog consuming any diuretics?  For eaxmple, medicine for high blood pressure.

Super Contributor

@GingerPeach

THANKS! @GingerPeach   Ive probably seen them in the pet stores but didnt pay attention due to having senior dogs with little teeth left. and they probably looked like puppy toys to me. good to have this info, thanks!!

did your senior dog like them?

Super Contributor

@ValuSkr

she just started on very tiny Enalapril dose when she went to vet for first time for the peeing. BP was alittle high. but that was after all the peeing was going on. it has brought her BP down to normal.

Contributor

This is the reason my 18 month old Doberman was relinquished to the shelter twice before I adopted her.My vet tested her and she had Cushing's  and was a insulin dependent diabetic. The vet told me to be prepared to "cook" and be a caregiver to her. She was my delight for 14 years. She turned out to be a wonderful companion and part of our family. Please continue to care for you pet and seek more testing.pets are truly part of a family.