Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why does letting them go have to be so hard??

@savetheanimals 

It's so hard because it's the price we pay for sharing our lives with these magical, mystical, beautiful, loving and unique creatures.  You are special for opening your home to Betty when she needed it most, and she felt more than a lifetime of care under your roof and in your heart.

She'll live in that heart forever, you know.  She took up shop there a long time ago.  Heart

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry @savetheanimals . Betty is beautiful. First - thank you for opening your home to a senior cat and the other cats you have. Second - you were lucky she "chose" you to be her mom. The closeness the two of you shared is something special.

You are so lucky you were able to say goodbye and be there with her (unlike a lot of people during this pandemic). It was sweet how you acknowledged your veterinarian, who obviously cared for you and for Betty. As the wife of a veterinarian, I can tell you that each loss touches them. A lot of people don't understand, but it does. 

I will also tell you what I tell everyone: your voice was the last one she heard, your scent was the last one she smelled, your warm touch was the last one she loved, and your tears falling on her fur were the last thing she felt. She knew she was loved.

I believe what Billy Graham always said, we will see our pets again in Heaven, because God has promised we will be happy there, and how could we be happy without our pets? We have quite a few waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. (((HUGS)))

Respected Contributor

@savetheanimalsBetty is beautiful.  What a blessing for you two to have found each other when She was all ready in her golden years.  To be loved and cared for and safe when she was getting slower and not feeling well would have been such an easement for the old girl.

Remember,  everything you did was for her benifit. Even at the last, that was too.

Yes you will grieve. The tears will come as you think of Betty.  In time the memories will soften the sharp edge of loss.

If you tweak it a bit I have found comfort in that saying Don't Cry because it's over, Smile because ' she' happened to you.

May you all comfort each other in your loss of Betty.

Respected Contributor

to the op: it's because we love them so much. It's heartbreaking, I know. Sending wishes and good thoughts for your heart to heal Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@savetheanimals  I am so sorry for your loss.  Thank you for giving her a home and loving her.  Letting them go never gets easier.  I miss my Darcy every day of my life.  The most important thing is that  your life was better because your sweet Betty was part of your life.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!