Respected Contributor

Re: Why does letting them go have to be so hard??

Why is it so hard? Because we LOVE them. I've had cats almost all my 64 years and it never gets easier. One cat doesn't replace another; you love each of them for different reasons. 

Betty rather looks like my Charlie. She's a beauty. I'm so very sorry for your loss. We're here when you need us, for those days when the loss seems unbearable. 

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss @savetheanimals .  Betty was a beautiful cat.  I can tell she had a very loving home with you and your husband.  You did the kindest thing you could by letting her go.

Someone posted this for me when I had to make this decision for my dog recently.  I loved it and think it's very appropriate.

18D2CAEC-891C-43E2-BB98-16702C79E4D4_4_5005_c.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom I've seen this posted often. Everytime I read it I bawl my eyes out, remembering our kitties who have gone to heaven.

Honored Contributor

@savetheanimals I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Betty. She felt your love until the last and she will be in your heart forever. And I like to think our pets who have gone are in heaven and that St. Francis is watching over all of them.

She's now well and happy and will see you one day.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Oh, what a beautiful kitty!

Good for you for having adopted her at such an advanced age.  Senior pets are so hard to place,

Good for you and your husband, also, for recognizing when the time had come, and giving her up at a point when she felt safe, loved, and respected.

It does suck, and a major way.  Please remember this is not a linear process.  Your grief will come and go, it will hit your hard one day, and the next day isn't so bad.

There will come a time when you will remember Betty with a smile, instead of profound grief.  

Valued Contributor

It's because the love we share with our beloved pets is like no other..  

Betty was a beautiful girl.  She is now playing at the Rainbow Bridge,and I believe you will be reunited one day.

My deepest condolences to you.  I totally understand.

Frequent Contributor

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. It means so much to me! I know in time it will get better. Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

I just want to say, Our love never dies.  The pain of our loss will gradually ease, but our love will always live on.  The greatest of these gifts, Is Love!

Honored Contributor

@savetheanimals -

Betty is beautiful and I can tell how sad you are and how you will miss her.

Your beautiful post actually brought a lot of comfort to me because you could have been writing about the same thing with my almost 20 year 

old going through the same things

then wondering did I do all, was it the right time and hating to see her in any discomfort.

No matter what we do, we will always go back and put it all thru our minds and hope we did the right thing and all we could. And it sounds so much like you did.

I believe I did too.

So thank you for sharing your journey with her no matter how sad, I do think we will see our loving pets again.

I hope Betty meets all of our beloved pets up there at the rainbow bridge.

Cry to comfort, and to feel her love.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@savetheanimals 

Betty was gorgeous, and oh, those green eyes!

I think you may be particularly saddened because she not only had physical issues, but some emotional ones that you also helped her with.  LOVE the story of stretching out her legs on your lap to "show" her she could lie down!

My husband & I were just talking tonight about our last two cats.  It's been years since they've been gone, so we're finally beyond the tears and just cherish the time they brought us such joy, love and laughter.

At times, I thought I'd never see that day.

Please be as kind to yourself as you were with pretty Betty, OK?

Denise