Honored Contributor

Re: Why do my dogs spit some of the kibble on the floor and eat the others?

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

My one girl will not only randomly spit kibble on the floor and resume eating but she will also take random pieces of kibble to her bed to eat it there, then go back to her bowl to continue eating.

???

@Abrowneyegirl

How adorable and funny!

Maybe the pieces she takes to her bed are for the 'late night muchies'? LOL!

(Been there, done that!)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I owned a dog that made me crazy with his eating habits! He was a sweet dog, but was not a good eater, he was thin (which the vet said was better than being over weight), and had a delicate stomach, he would throw up weekly. I started off feeding him dry food mixed with can or semi moist food. He would eat around the food spitting out some of it on the floor ( he did eat and loved his treats). Later on as he got older I feed him real chicken or chopped meat with white rice, he barely ate that either. Just a very picky eater but a love!

Esteemed Contributor

My dog does this.  He just randomly throws a piece on the floor.  It's not like it accidently falls there, because he eats right over his bowl.  He deliberatly drops some on the floor and then eats it from the floor later. (when I say later, I mean a few minutes.  It doesn't sit there for hours)

Another, even stranger, thing he does is that after a few bites of food, he stops eating and walks around my dining room table two or three times, then goes back to his food.  He continues this pattern until his food is gone.  Talk about odd!  LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

One of my German Shepherds does this and I think it's because she thinks that she has too much chow in her mouth to swallow. She has a more petitie build for that breed. My male does not do this but he's a big boy.  

Respected Contributor

My wonderful black lab used to do this.  Since both of my doggies are getting older, I purchased one of those elevated dog food dish holders since I thought it would be more comfortable for them to have the food at mouth level and not have to bend over to eat.

She no longer walks away with the kibble dropping out of her mouth. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

It's dessert.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It's dessert.

@qualitygal

LOL! Yep, like I said, for the late night munchies!

We all get 'em!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

My dog does that with kibble and bits.. but what really kills me is when I give him a plate with lil cesars he will push the plate all over the place before eating it .. I put it in a corner he still will push it all over. drives me nuts with that and he has done this his whole life and he is 11

Super Contributor

I used to buy a food that had identifiable food like peas or cranberries in it.  After my dog ate a bowl, there would be peas scattered around the bowl.  I have no idea why or how she did it.   She then trained me to pick out the peas before feeding her so I wouldnt have such a mess.  Once the bag was empty, I started purchasing a different brand..  That was my bloodhound Lilypad.  My current dog doesnt care but still makes a mess.

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog  That is too funny.  I had a German Shepherd many years ago, who would eat wet food with peas and all the food would be gone with the handful of peas left in the bowl.  Not mashed, or half eaten, just a handful of perfectly round peas left.

She was a very picky eater and in her mind she didn't like peas and wasn't going to eat any! LOL 

I miss her, she was a wonderful dog.

......You look like I need a drink.....