Valued Contributor

It is right that a lot of dogs run to not from.

As for small dogs, they are taken by Hawks and Coyotes. 

At one point our Animal Controls # 1 was labs. # 2 dog was Chihuahuas.

The reason they have so many is:

A lot of them are unhousebreakable. 

A fair amount of them will bite.

People did not realize that when they see Paris Hilton carrying hers in her purse.

I have worked with their rescue here.  

If things were different I would have 3-4.  I love them.

We have Nextdoor here.  One unfortunate tiny Yorkie was sold one day then got out of the fence and has been on his own for a week.  He is too frightened to be caught.  Has no idea where he is.

Sad.

You have to be very careful when adopting a Greyhound.  They run in circles and often never find their way home.  Plus the added feature that they slip their collars/harness.

Honored Contributor

Mine objected to his curfew.🐶  

Esteemed Contributor

My Khloe is a little spoiled and very much loved. But any chance she gets, she’s off. The chihuahuas have never left and never follow her. I walk her every day. Just recently a family brought her home after a lot of rain warped the fence that I was unaware of. I’m so scared that in one of her little adventures, someone will take her. 

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs run for many reasons. Depending on the breed some are following a scent or chasing an animal or escaping a bad situation. I always say that it's up to the human to protect the dog from as many distractions that may put him/her in harms way. Sometimes things just happen. My heart always aches when I see posters about lost pets. I keep a tote bag of blankets, leashes, etic. in my trunk in case I find a stray. It just breaks my heart to think of the trama to both the dog and owner. 

Honored Contributor

I do not think dogs run away per say. By nature dogs are roamers.. They like to be on the move....explore  new smells...new places. That is why walks are so important to them and their sanity.  Escaping out of a yard to a dog is just no more than exploring....but sadly, today’s world with cars and other things make exploring dangerous and in most cities illegal with laws against loose dogs,  of course dogs do not know about laws and love to get out and run the neighborhood.....run away as you say.

it is just the mindset of a dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Khloe did it again last night. I opened door and stepped outside and for some reason I didn’t close the door all the way. She took off and fast. I had to go back in and get keys to lock house. She goes with everyone and with so many cars and people in costumes I was scared someone would take her. Luckily my neighbor ran after her and he caught her at the end of the block. I really don’t know what I can do other than making sure door behind me is closed shut 

Respected Contributor

Is it possible that you can install a baby gate in your front door?  We used to do that when we had a rescue foster who was a "bolter", and also for Halloween, so we could open the door to hand out candy but didn't want the dogs to get out and scare the kids or run away.  It's kind of a hassle to step over it, but maybe you could try it out for a while until Khloe gets out of the habit of trying to bolt?

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP, hadn’t even thought of that but that is a great idea. And you said it perfectly, she bolts out. The only good thing is she knows the surroundings since I walk her and she stays on the sidewalk. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do dogs run away?

[ Edited ]

So...you've never owned a dog...lol   Funny question.  Usually they are not running away, they are just running for an adventure or to catch up with another dog or chasing an animal or because runnimg feels good or they are playing and want us to follow them.  Sometimes they go too far or take an unfamilar route and get lost.   It's not because they don't like that new dog food...lol

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes unneutered males will catch whiff of a female in heat, and take off to go find her, so that he can mate with her.