Honored Contributor

Why You Should Use Pet Shampoo On Your Dog

I have always known that you are never supposed to use people shampoo on your dog, but I wasn't sure why.  I thought it had something to do with the pH.  I was just reading an article where Jorge Benderskey explains this.  He is the author of "DIY Dog Grooming" and has years of experience grooming dogs in New York.  Here is an excerpt of what he said.  I found it interesting.

“Human shampoo is designed to remove extra oils from our scalp, since we constantly sweat from it. Dogs only sweat through the tongue and their pads. Pet shampoo is formulated to remove the dirt but not the oils, preventing the hair and skin from getting overly dry.”

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Why You Should Use Pet Shampoo On Your Dog

I bathe my dogs about once every 3 or 4 years.  I don't think a dose of baby shampoo will hurt them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You can use a castile liquid soap, it has natural oils,i like ones with olive oil,and coconut oil.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bathe my dogs about once every 3 or 4 years.  I don't think a dose of baby shampoo will hurt them.

Years????

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   Did you mean to say months or years?  I would think you would need to bathe long haired dogs every few months.  I did when I had them.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Carolina castile liquid soap is very good.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a timely thread because both my dogs need a bath.  It has been a few months and they are starting to smell a bit!  I do use dog shampoo, but in the past, I may have used people shampoo.  I will be sure not to do that again.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Image result for pro pet works shampoo

You probably already have a favorite, @NickNack .  I found this one that I really like.  Your dog will have a marzipan scent for a little while from the almond oil.  And it appears to have quality ingredients.

I knew about the oil removal so I was always looking for a good pet shampoo and was happy to find this one.  I've bought it twice now.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest.  Yes, years.  They're not dirty, they don't smell, they get regular brushing to remove any debris and dead or shed hair so why would they need bathing?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

That does sound like a good shampoo @GingerPeach .  I just looked it up on Amazon.  Frankie has a skin problem right now, and the dermatologist gave me a shampoo for her.  It has actually helped a lot.

-Henry David Thoreau