Trusted Contributor

Re: Who has a dog that gets stiucks stuck in their mouths

Perhaps pick up all food when you go to bed.  He’ll eventually learn to eat at a normal time and won’t have to go out at night. Bless you for rescuing those babies. 

Respected Contributor

How old are these dogs?  Regardless of age I would not free feed them.  Koda's eating and pooping needs to be much earlier I think.  Do you feed twice a day?  I would put his evening meal down at say five or six.  Leave it down for an hour.  What he doesn't eat take away.  Also I would be very leery of letting him roam in the night.  Very.  As far as sticks, I would not let him free roam thru that dog door.  I would walk him on a leash to do his business.  You need to protect him from his stupid self, or he is going to choke to death one of these times.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@deb5555.  Are you suggesting the OP put a muzzle such as you pictured on her dogs when they're outside?   

This would be a very bad idea; these muzzles are meant to be worn for safe handling of a bitting dog only.  Obviously a dog cannot drink or pant while wear this so wearing it outside could be very dangerous.

A properly fitted muzzel will allow the dog to pant, and drink water.  

They are NOT just for bitting dogs.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy.  I was referring to the type of muzzle the poster pictured which is designed to keep the mouth shut while a dog is being handled.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No No NO. Those solid nylon muzzles are NOT for all day use!  Read the warnings on the sales tags.  Even the manufacturer admits that.  A muzzle should not be on an unattended animal. and even then if you are not trying to prevent him from biting get a "Basket muzzle"  harder material but Much more open around the face.  I agree that you can direct the feeding times and Koda will come around. He'll eat when food is available as he did before he found you.  not sure what his facination with sticks is but as others have offered try some of the safer alternatives out there.  Lucky dogs those two.

ETA not directing my muzzle rant at you by the way.  Just felt it needed to be firmly addressed for the safety of dogs everywhere.