Trusted Contributor

Who has a dog that gets stiucks stuck in their mouths

My 2 babies did find their forever home.....They have become my life...It took me a while, but my being a fur mommy again just feels right....I one day hoped for one, but instead, got two!!! My bigger one came first, (Koda) then came my snuggle bunny(Hok'ee)....Koda,the bigger one, keeps getting sticks hung in the back of his upper mouth...Woman Sad I do not play with them with sticks, and I have only 1 tree in my immediate yard....now I live in the middle of 5 acres, so, yes, I have trees....I have already had to have him put to sleep to get the stick out...twice....He has had 7, 5 of which I got out with with no bite thru gloves, and 2 with putting to sleep to have them removed...My little one, has had 2, and I just contain him in my arms, and have been able to get the wood out of the roof of his mouth, as he panics, and without me getting the wood out, I am not sure he would make it...Getting the ones out of Koda's mouth, have not been easy, and I have lost a lot of blood, from scratches, as I wear gloves he can not bit through, but with his flailing, he has scratched up my arms pretty good...So be it, as I have saved him from being put to sleep 5 times...I have never had to deal with this in all of my years, since childhood, owning pups....Woman Surprised

Have any of you ever had this issue??? I have dealt with a lot of pup issues, but never this....Help???Woman Frustrated

Koda does not deal with pain, as he started limping, and last Friday, took him to the vet, yet again, and muzzle him they did, and he had inflammation between his toes and paw pads, so a shot of steroids, and on Saturday, he was back to Koda....These 2 are giving me a run for my money....LITERALLY...Woman Frustrated

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

Re: Who has a dog that gets stiucks stuck in their mouths

Image result for dog mouth covering

All our dogs eat sticks, but this may help you if they will let you put it on? Worth a try!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@forrestwolf  So good to see you.

I've never had issues with my dogs chewing sticks or getting them stuck in their mouths.  I am just so happy to be able to see a picture of your new loves of your life.

I'm not being a smart a--, do they have any toys that would help with the chewing?

Kong makes these rubber bones in small, medium or large.  They can be washed.

Image result for kong bone

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Image result for dog mouth covering

Trusted Contributor

Image result for the comfy cone pet recovery collar

I put on this comfy cone when they start licking their paws, works great!

Honored Contributor

Not that but my daughter has a dog that does (I guess) what lots of dogs do....she eats everything.

Drives my daughter crazy.  She's been working on breaking her of this habit and is almost there....almost....

She lives in the heart of the city of Denver.  There is a huge homeless population there.  It's unbelievable how many people are sleeping even in the grassy area on the road.

Anyway, the powers that be keep the city as clean as possible but people still throw down their cigarette butts and other butts (who knows what because pott is legal there).

She walks the dog and the dog used to very quickly start chewing on something.  She has worked very, very hard at breaking her of doing this.

She taught the dog to walk carrying a stick in her mouth.  It has really made a difference.  The stick is way too big to get stuck in her mouth.

So, I guess this is one case where it's good to have a stick in her mouth.  She doesn't chew on the stick, just carries it.

She give the dog some kind of antlers to chew on.  They are supposed to be healthy for the dog.  People here probably know about them.  They are NOT bones and Vets say they are good for the dogs.

You might look into something like that as a substitute for the dog.

I shouldn't even be posting here as I don't own a dog (only cats) but I thought maybe I could help a tiny bit.

OK, I'll go sit down now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deb5555.  Are you suggesting the OP put a muzzle such as you pictured on her dogs when they're outside?   

This would be a very bad idea; these muzzles are meant to be worn for safe handling of a bitting dog only.  Obviously a dog cannot drink or pant while wear this so wearing it outside could be very dangerous.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Ok....Here is my issue...Please pardon any typos, as little one is in my lap keeping me from typing easily....Koda is a true night eater, and they have a doggie door, so they go out after I am long asleep....Since I have a night muncher, I do not want to keep him locked out from the outside, as then I have to deal with the results inside....My little one will stay with me in bed, Koda is a night owl...I do not know if this comes from him being abandoned, and having to survive during the night, before he showed up here, but, because this is his nature, I do not want to stop it, but you have to understand, I am gone from 0515 to 1600 or later during the day, so the restraint is not good for me, especially now with temps daily over 90 degrees....

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf.  Suggest you use a lock out panel on your dog door at night.  All sorts of nocturnal wildlife can enter through the door.  In Colorado they had to euthanize a mama bear with 2 cubs that kept trying to break into homes.  One of the cubs went through a dog door.  I had a friend who had a opossum enter through hers.  I had a real problem with mice until I started blocking my door.  You dog doesn't need to be out at night.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624Would say so, but for my middle of the night eater, he wines, after a big dinner, as he does not eat at usual times, to go out in the middle of the night, and then my sleep is gone, as I do get up early, early, and I am selfish, but I do need my sleep.

Spoiler