Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  I'm glad I read your interesting post about your brother's dog.  I've had 6 rough coated collies over the past 42 years.  I've been toying with the idea of making my next dog a smooth collie.  Now that I know the shedding is even worse, maybe I'll stick with my roughs.  I had no idea!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1.  I believe Drizzela's dog was a rough white collie, as pictured.  I had a smooth collie for about 14 months until shes died of an autoimmune disease.  She was a joy to groom as it took about 30 seconds to brush her.  She didn't shed much at all but had the sweet collie personality.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I love collies. We had a blue merle collie and also a collie/shepherd mix

years ago.

They were great dogs. We got both dogs for free. The collie/shep mix we got

as a puppy and lived to 17 years old and the blue merle lived to 12. I had never

seen a blue merle before we got him. Our neighbor was moving and could not

take him with him and I begged for him. My parents said yes and I loved both

of them so much. 

Honored Contributor

@threecees.  Many of us of a "certain age" were raised by Collies and remember them fondly.  They are not so popular these days.  Smaller dogs reign.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Citrine1.  I believe Drizzela's dog was a rough white collie, as pictured.  I had a smooth collie for about 14 months until shes died of an autoimmune disease.  She was a joy to groom as it took about 30 seconds to brush her.  She didn't shed much at all but had the sweet collie personality.

Thank you @Kachina624 .  Drizzela had stated that she babysat her brother's dog, a smooth coated collie, for a year and that she had to vacuum every day and that the dog was a heavy shedder.  

Currently, I only have one dog -- a rough coated collie. ( My two year old female collie passed away over the summer.  She was a special needs dog with brain damage and

we were no longer able to control her seizures. )   Even with the one dog, I vacuum nearly every day.  I'm sorry you lost your dog at such a young age.  Yes, I can imagine the brushing process was a joy!  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Currently, I only have one dog -- a rough coated collie. ( My two year old female collie passed away over the summer.  She was a special needs dog with brain damage and

we were no longer able to control her seizures. )   Even with the one dog, I vacuum nearly every day.  I'm sorry you lost your dog at such a young age.  Yes, I can imagine the brushing process was a joy!  

Oh Citrine, that is so sad that you lost your collie over the summer. At least you tried to give her the best life possible . Thank you for making that effort.

Collies are so hard to find. Glad you still have a collie. Can't wait to hear if you get another.

I honestly think my brother's dog was the exception when it came to shedding. He had such a thick coat. I think if he had been a rough collie he would have looked like the picture Kachina posted. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your kind words @drizzellla .  I know what you mean about a thick coat.  The dog I have now has the thickest coat (and messiest hair) of any dog I've ever owned.  My other collies were sable and whites.  He is a tri.  Sometimes I wonder if it's because of his coloring, but I guess that's just silly.  

I'll have to go back and read my other posts because I guess it sounded like I'm actively looking to get another dog.  At this time, I'm not.  When I said my next dog might be a smooth coated collie, I meant sometime in the future.

The dog I have now is healthy and happy and I'm enjoying spending time with him.  My special needs dog required so much attention that I sometimes felt I neglected this one. Taking care of her was a full time job (not that I'm complaining).  She taught me to be more patient and kind and I don't regret the 2 years I had with her, but I'm not looking to start that whole puppy thing all over again right now!