Trusted Contributor

When should you take a new puppy to the vet?

[ Edited ]

We got an 11 week old pug last week. She had a few shots and was wormed. I forgot to ask when I should take her to our vet.  I'm sure if I call, they will say come in right away. Thoughts? I guess I haven't made an appt yet is because I was unhappy with the vet I had been using for 20 years and don't know if I should go someplace new or go back to the old one who was closer and had evening hours.

penny.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: When should you take a new puppy to the vet?

Take a new pup to the vet immediately  to be weighed and make sure there are no issues.  Most pups have to be dewormed.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee  Why would you not make an appointment asap for a new pet? Not being snotty, it just makes sense to do this. Don't you think?

Respected Contributor

I always take a new pet to my own vet right away. My most recent cat,Spats, was a rescue from a friend of a friend. He had a slight respiratory problem when I got him. My vet told me he had feline herpes. He is very healthy now with occasional sniffles and sneezes. He is an only pet.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The purpose of the new puppy visit is for the vet to look over the pup and establish whether or not there are any health issues to be concerned about as well aslooking for congenital abnormalities or birth defects.  Some breeders have a time limit for first visit should there be as issue if yours is from a breeder.  Give yourself a week to get to know your dog and for her to settle in.  But, IMO you should schedule a new puppy visit asap.  Pugs are GREAT dogs.  My son has a 12 year old sweetie.  They also are prone to infections, luxated patellas, etc. so it would be a good idea to get your vet to check her over.  Congrats!

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee Cute pup. Congratulations!

Yes, make that appointment right away. You want her to be in the

best of health. 

You may have to wait a short while as appointments fill in fast.

So call and confirm your new addition is healthy.

Honored Contributor

Very important - Make sure pup has had Parvo Vaccine. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The pup needs to be seen asap.  If you aren't sure if you want to stay with your current vet,  taking your adorable pup in for the initial visit doesn't bind you to continued follow up with that vet. But it does give your pet the protetction needed while you decide if you want to change vets.  The services and immunizations provided will be on your bill so another vet will know what has been done for your pug.   What a beautiful pug face!

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee 

As soon as you get home with him.  Obviously, make an appt. for a new puppy health check.  At 6 months old, get him neutered.

Never neglect his dental care either.  You'll thank yourself when he is older.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

I've always taken mine just as soon as I get them.

Your Pug is adorable.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~