Valued Contributor

Re: When should you take a new puppy to the vet?

@geegerbee wrote:

We got an 11 week old pug last week. She had a few shots and was wormed. I forgot to ask when I should take her to our vet.  I'm sure if I call, they will say come in right away. Thoughts? I guess I haven't made an appt yet is because I was unhappy with the vet I had been using for 20 years and don't know if I should go someplace new or go back to the old one who was closer and had evening hours.

penny.jpg

@geegerbee  She is beautiful. Please take her to the vet as soon as you can...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee - Congratulations! She's precious!

I agree with everyone else- get her in right away. If you are not happy with your last veterinarian, definitely find a new one. You can always visit a few and check them out. But you want to get her in soon.

Don't dismiss independent veterinary hospitals, ones that are not affiliated with VCA. They have more freedom to do what they want!  :smileyhappy

Honored Contributor

Sweet dog!  Take him to the vet within a week after adopting him. If you don't like the old vet, go to another. But go.

Esteemed Contributor

ITA with everyone else, a visit to the vet is imperative.   

That is one beautiful dog.  I am a cat person but I love dogs too.  My grandparents had pugs when we were kids.  I absolutely adored those dogs.  Best of luck Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I would call and make an appointment right away for any new pet.  This to check on the pet and to establish a relationship with a vet for any emergencies.

I would call today, as many places are super busy.  I got a new kitten over the summer and I had to call several places to get an appointment.  Several places were booked a couple months out.  The one guy I talked to said it was a mix of staff issues and the  pandemic.  So many people got pets during the pandemic.  They have more patients and less staff.  

Trusted Contributor

A Year ago I got a kitten from a rescue.  I took her to my vet immediately to get her checked out and establiished.  I thought it was the responsible thing to do.  I think you should do the same.

Respected Contributor

Very cute pup! Its just like having a newborn baby.   The first year is filled with visits to the vet!!

Esteemed Contributor

New pets need to be seen as soon as possible, especially if there are other pets in the household.  Many vets are booked up weeks in advance so I would call ASAP.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

You should take the new pup to vet sooner than later. IFind another vet if you are unhappy with the one you used previously or switch vets at the practice that offers you the hours you need. Remember that you'r e the client and you need to trust the vet that your pet has. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee 

She is precious!! I agree i would take her to the vet soon. I would go to someone you trust. Ask for referrals in your area. Good luck.