Trusted Contributor

Our Molly is 15 now and we have seen a decline in her health. To day we woke up with her bark. Her back legs have stopped working. She still seams happy and is wagging her tail. She keeps wining. 

Our vet gave us a number to call and they can come to our home.

Is it time?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry to read this @sweetee2.  Only you can make the decision, but if her back legs are no longer working it sounds like it's probably time.  Would you have to carry her everywhere?  At 15, she's lived a good long life.  I'm sad for the decision you're having to make.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes. Animals hide their ailments in the wild for fear of predators. That instinct is bult in to dogs and cats. You dog may *seem* ok but likely isn't.

Do the kind, loving thing for your pet. End the suffering.  

Respected Contributor

be happy that she can go in the comfort of her own home, and cradled in your arms. 

it's time. 

Contributor

Our dog,was in the same place. We decided to try pain meds. He has hip dysplasia. After the meds,he got back up and walked. Yes ,still going strong and pain free. God bless!

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2 ~

You will know in your heart when it is time.  Nobody knows your "Sweet Baby" better than you do.  When you make the decision, have your Vet come to you if that is possible.  No Vet Office that she is not comfortable being in.  In your home, in your arms.  I am So Sorry that you are having to go through this.  My heart goes out to you.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@sweetee2

I had to make this difficult decision on June 8, but you will also know when and if it is time.  The main question is:   Is your pet suffering?

My parents had an immobile Sheltie, and had a device that helped her walk.

Hugs to you and your family during this difficult time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: When is it time?

[ Edited ]

It sounds like your dog is in pain. This happened to our collie. The vet recommended medication to try first, which got him on his feet for another year with a good quality of life. I'd ask for an exam and opinion first.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2That is for you to decide.  Do not be dependent on others to choose for you.  You and your vet know what the problem is and if there may be something to help with comfort and pain. 

If the tail is wagging and my dogs were eating well I knew my best friend was not ready yet.  I always just wait for my dog to let me know.  Don't obsess about it, only you  know your dog and I think it will be obvious when she's ready.  Discuss it with your vet  don't second guess any decision you make.  It's probably one of the hardest decisions to make and like my vet told me - there is no right or wrong decision as long as you have the best interests of your pet.