Esteemed Contributor

Re: When a dog throws up..THIS SHOULD BE IN PET SECTION...SORRY!

Hello @SeaMaiden.  First let me say that you needn't apologize for putting this post in TV and movies.  No biggie.  We forgive you!!

Secondly, I believe @AuntG was making a joke saying your post belongs here if it was a TV show that made your dog sick and throw up!  LOL

Thirdly, I'm sure your Lola is fine.  Throwing up a little bile is probably not a big deal.  It happens to my dogs on occasion.  As many posters suggested, boiled chicken and rice is good for this.  That doesn't work for me because both of my dogs get diarrhea from chicken.  However, if they throw up I feed them anyway (their regular dog food) and just wait to see if they throw up again.

Obviously, if it continues you'll want to get her to your vet.

Good luck.  I hope she will be fine.

Esteemed Contributor

Ooops @AuntG, I was writing my post as you posted yours.  I was pretty sure we were on the same page there.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, I wouldn’t give her huge amounts at one time.  Maybe half of what she usually eats.  If she eats all that, wait awhile (several hours) and give her some more.  Agree with the water.  Important she have fresh water always and especially if she is vomiting as you don’t want her to get dehydrated.

Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

I'd feed her, if she's acting fine other than the bile vomit.  My boys sometimes vomit bile because they need to eat.  (It happens occasionally on our morning walk, which is before breakfast.   I feed them their normal breakfast, and they are fine.  

If you feed her, and she throws up food, I'd cut back on food, and give her chicken and rice for a day or two to see if her stomach settles.  If it doesn't, then a trip to the vet.  Don't wait too long for the vet, though, if she is really sick.

Esteemed Contributor

It's more important to keep her hydrated than giving her food.

Rice with broth (if she won't eat plain rice) works fine for a dog who throws up.  She might have picked up something in the grass (or someplace)....

I don't know how much she weighs but don't give her so much rice that it wil make her constipated.  I have a 35 lb. terrier and we give her a teaspoon of rice whenever she doesn't feel well....

Please keep us informed as to her progress and I wish her well...... (you too)......

Honored Contributor

My vet said cooked rice and some chicken.

Respected Contributor

I would put a little of her regular food in her bowl.  If she feels better she'll eat some, if not she will when she's ready. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@SeaMaiden, sometimes people say a show was so bad they wanted to puke. Just joking in my comment.

@AuntG  Oh, ok...Got It!

Honored Contributor

Well, I went ahead and feed her just a bit of her dry( 1 cup) all moistened up so it was easier to digest. Put some digestive enzymes in that and a bit of the herb slippery elm.( soothing to the tummy,) she ate it with her usual gusto!     

I will I’ll keep an eye on her for a couple of days... ThankYou for your suggestions!

I should have made the rice as someone suggested,...but, I have no rice in the house!

thank you everyone🙂

Honored Contributor

As a kid I had a sweet mutt who bless his heart was sickly. He would throw up at least twice a week every week ( he had a nervous stomach). We feed him boiled chicken and white rice often.