Honored Contributor

Re: When You Name Your Animals.............

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - We tend to use unusual names that we think fit our kitties' personalities. Almost all of ours have been rescues, so we never knew the names. One was a wedding gift, and one came to us as a kitten from someone who wanted to thank DH. 

I have a funny story about chickens. When I was young my one aunt had all kinds of animals. She had chickens, I think from South America, who laid colored eggs. My three cousins were young boys at the time, and the chickens all had names. One of the roosters was named after my uncle. One day the boys were playing with their neighbors. They found the rooster under the wooden fence not moving. The neighbor kids ran to their home and told their mom, "Mr. Smith had a heart attack and fell off the fence. He's dead!" Their mom called a friend before she raced to my aunt and uncle's home. My uncle wasn't home, so it took my aunt a minute before she realized it was the rooster. The other friend had arrived with food!

I come from a very small family and I have happy memories of times spent with them. When they told us the story we all laughed. We never let my uncle forget it!  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

One of my kitties has a people name-the other 2 have names that are based on their personality/looks. Nicknames can get pretty wild & cutsie-the horrors! lol

It's totally different w every pet I've had/have. It depends once I get them what they look like to me!
Honored Contributor

After learning their personally, and considering appearance, we generally use people names.

Also consider how it would feel to call the animal in public - because DH named one that was problematic!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I usually use people names, but a rescue cat I adopted at age 3 was already named Dutchess and she responded to her name, so I didn't change it.  My other cat is Emme Rose.