Esteemed Contributor

When You Name Your Animals.............

do you tend to use people names like Bob and Sandy or names like King, Buddy and in my case, Petunia for a cat.

I ask because my niece and my cousin have a bunch of chickens, I know not pets, but the same idea.

Cousin insists on naming her chickens/roosters Fred, Dave and Helen.

My niece has Cluck Norris, Eggbert and Ameila Egghart, oh, the one nasty one is Motherclucker.

People names or, in niece's case, word play.

Honored Contributor

Re: When You Name Your Animals.............

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

do you tend to use people names like Bob and Sandy or names like King, Buddy and in my case, Petunia for a cat.

I ask because my niece and my cousin have a bunch of chickens, I know not pets, but the same idea.

Cousin insists on naming her chickens/roosters Fred, Dave and Helen.

My niece has Cluck Norris, Eggbert and Ameila Egghart, oh, the one nasty one is Motherclucker.

People names or, in niece's case, word play.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Funny names for chickens. lol. I've had many names for all my beagles: Lady, Honey, Sophie, Sadie and now Molly.

I try to use names that are simple two syllables and end w/ a "ee" sound. It seems to be easier when training, especially calling them to come to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I use both but my newest additions I am tending to name them people names. We have a Hunter, Char, Oliver and Sheba for people names then we have Smudge and Skitter for the other two cats. 

Esteemed Contributor

I usually name my pets based on their personalities or quirks.

So far my previous pets were named Queenie, King, Papers, Sheba, Fire and currently Cookies and Cream we adopted them (siblings) last year at 8 months after FIre past away and they were already named. 

I do know some people that use regular names for their pets like Mr. Moto, Maxine.

Honored Contributor

I don't name any with common animal names but  after adopting them name them by looks and personality.  Could be a cute name or people names.  

Regular Contributor

I use mostly people names & often people I love! Also I often go against gender. 

. I have a girl kitty named Bode & I used to have a female cat named Fred. 

Honored Contributor

Right now I adopt older dogs with names already given. But before that I gave them names which sort of described the way they looked or what they did as a breed. I had a Springer called "Radar" and a Brittany named him "Rusty".

Frequent Contributor

We have had a Rusty, Chelle (pronounce Shela after my daughter's middle name of Rachelle), Missy, Chief. Mikey,  Shelby, Leo, Calix and now we have Sophie.  Our names come from their personality, AKC name or simply or what they looked like!

Respected Contributor

My husband picked our cat's name- Keiko which means blessed child in Japanese.

Valued Contributor

All my cats and dogs have people names.  Not a fan of those cutsie names.