Esteemed Contributor

Re: When You Name Your Animals.............

Some of the dogs we have had were named Rags, Bentley (named when he came to us),  PJ (named by co-workers DH), Barkley (son named after Charles Barkley) and Magee.

Cats have been Gizmo, Tess and the notorious Petunia.

The outside strays are named by their appearance.  Orange male was Marmalade,  Marmalade's son was MJ (Marmalade Jr.) black female is Cole, Spinny (darn cat spins around when he sees you, excited I guess). You get the idea, we aren't original sometimes but when someone says, "Spinny showed up for breakfast" we know which one it is.

Respected Contributor

We have used both.  Our first dog was Dinky, but then Maggie and now we have Debbie (her name was Remington when we rescued her), Dottie and Winnie (she was named before we rescued her and we kept the name)

I agree with @Shanus , a dog trainer we used on our first dog said that two syllables ending in ee or y sound is easiest for them to remember, although we end up using so many nicknames, I am not sure how they even know their real names!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

Since all fur babies are part of the family, always people names.

Respected Contributor

nteresting question.  I never really thought about it but including extended family all our small animals ,dogs, cats and a pet bird, have had the non people names and all the large and farm animals /birds have had people names. 

Occasional Contributor

Think I usually just come up with a name on a whim! First cat I named Missy & then along came Morris and then there was Freddie & then there was Dolly & Katie & Popsie & now I have an Ellie. Long list of dog names...Spot, Cissy, Dottie, Pete, Sadie, Sammy & more! (Advice: See how they respond to a name helps! Let the animal choose own name!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Your niece has a wicked sense of humor picking out those names for her chickens.  I read this and chuckled out loud!

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols  She picked some good names.  She had pictures and I never saw such a variety of of feathers on chickens.

Oh, she arrived at my sisters with a huge black chicken/rooster.

She found it on the side of the road with an injured leg.  My BIL gave her a box and it was on my sister's front porch. She will take it to a vet and then nurse it back to health.

She is the animal whisperer in the family.

Honored Contributor

The dog I have now is "Annie". She's my Annie-bananie-sweet-bobanie....Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have had cats that were named Bootsey, Fluffy, Cinnamon, Peaches, Nala, Frisky, Sasha, Ellie and Tigra. I now have cats named Callie, Lily, Sophie and Gianna.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've had four beagles. The first and the fourth were already named so I kept Muffin and Maddie, who is my current fur baby. My second dog was Allie, which stood for Allegra, meaning joy after sorrow. My daughters named her soon after our first dog had died. Incidentally, my first two dogs shared the same birthday, August 13.

Our third dog was Penelope, Penny for short. My father named her after the queen of Ithaka, Greece. My Penelope was the queen of Ithaca, NY. When we adopted Maddie, I made one change. I gave her the official name of Madeleine Pamela. Her middle name was a reference to Penny, Allie, and Muffin...PAM.