Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do regarding elderly dog?

@mima, since your dog is in the early stages you have some latitude in what you feed and with a little research you should be able to find something appropriate and palatable to your dog (even if it takes a while to accept the new food).

Please take the time to read these articles.  It may seem like information overload but are extremely informative.

1800petmeds.com/education/diets-pets-kidney-disease-31.htm

dogaware.com/health/kidneynonprescription.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm with you husband....give her what she wants....

Sorry to hear your furbaby is ill..

Honored Contributor

My advice is feed her what she likes, i have 3 goldens,the oldest is 15 ,as of tomorrow  going through other problems with a old dog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hours of starvation because she can’t stand the food can’t be good for her. It must have a smell.  Is it rc food? That’s what my vet sells. 

We've tried to feed our cat a quality cat food, but all she wants is Fancy Feast.  That’s what she gets. Cats are worse than dogs when there is a food they don’t like.

Youve had a lot of great suggestions here. I’m sure I’m not the only one to learn here. Good luck with your dear pup,  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OfCoursewrote:

I'd ask the vet.  Could the vet prescribe an appetite stimulant?

@OfCourse She has an appetite. She just doesn't like the prescription dogfood.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much for your advice and sympathy. I started reading last night and got too emotional that i couldn't continue. I was tired and much better today.  Your posts were so helpful. I actually took notes on your advice. I like the idea of the home cooking and supplements.  Thank you all so much!  

Valued Contributor

No pet is the same, my Amsel - black long-haired mini doxie almost 16 diagnoised with terminal cancer.  I let her have anything she wanted.  I loved every second with her and I am glad she ate what she wanted.  I would never go back.  Hugs

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an older rescue dog that I’m going through this right now with kidney failure. I have thrown more food out that she won’t eat. I tried all the different prescription diet food for kidney she will not eat it. I have cooked special food for her chicken and all the vegetables and everything that goes in that. She would not eat it. So my vet said go to McDonald’s buy her a cheeseburger or chicken McNuggets.  As long as she eats. Well naturally she loves hamburgers then she get tired of them. Then I got her chicken McNuggets she loves them. So now at the store I buy her the nuggets that I can make up and also sliced turkey she likes and she will eat. I make her an egg every day and she will eat that. I even tried baby food no luck. I also put rice in with the things that I make her. I have done everything possible for this dog and I know she spoiled and I don’t care. All the love she has given me through the years I can give back to her now. Every day my heart is in my mouth praying and hoping she will eat her food. She was diagnosed in June of kidney failure and it’s now the ending of February and she still hanging in there.

Honored Contributor

I'd let the dog eat what she wants and enjoy the time she has left with you all.