Esteemed Contributor

Re: What would you do regarding elderly dog?

I agree with your DH.  Give her what she likes.  I don't believe in vet's pushing prescription food - very poor business practice, definitely not kosher in my book!

I would suggest you read up or contact a nutritionist to see what foods might possibly help her out.  Also, many smaller, owner-operated health-food type stores for dogs could also point you in the right direction.

I can tell you from personal experience when my baby girl was sick I gave her a low-carb, high-protein diet:  meats, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, milk, veggies.  It really does make a difference.  Also, imho Fromm's Gold is the best.  Chewy sells their own online, similar to Fromm's also.

Anyways, let your precious darling enjoy her old-age.  Make every meal a feast!

Super Contributor

@mima Hi, I have an elderly 13 year old boxer on AminAvast, Epakitin and Azodyl for the last year and she now has normal kidney function I feed her NF Purina dry kidney function  food with small amt (1/2 cup or so) boiled chicken, white rice little bit of wet NF and mix it all up with warm chicken broth. I put the Amni and Epakitin right in her food. She chows it all down. She has never been a picky eater though. I just thought I would let u know my routine. The meds are pricey but she is my old friend and do whatever I can for her💜

Honored Contributor

I agree with your husband.  This is not a young dog. Is you goal to prolong her life? If so, you may be doing that for yourself. I'd rather she eat what she likes until time runs out.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry for your dear little friend. My experiene with kidney disease is with one of my little feline babies, but it's still kidney disease. I'm wondering if your vet suggested a wet dog food brand that they sell. While I know there is a wonderful brand that most vets carry, there are other brands available at Petco and online with the "Dr's" website (I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but it's been mentioned earlier). I would purchase a variety of single cans from those sources that are specifically formulated for kidney disease. You might find that a different brand will be one your little friend will like. I also agree with some fresh cooked chicken, vegetables and fresh broth as an alternative. We want our fur babies to be happy, and their meals are a huge source of their enjoyment. Best of luck to you.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mima, there's a number of supplements to support kidney function. My girl has an auto immune problem, tho it's in remission currently, but she gets Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar in her water daily, a bit of organic coconut oil, the kind that stays solid until 77 degrees, and powdered cranberry. I was just reading that aloe vera gel, from the inner leaf, is also suggested for kidney problems. With your vet's permission, perhaps some of these ideas along with her favorite food will keep her happy. My dogs have all loved coconut oil.

When she was her sickest, she got squash baby food and yogurt (both organic) mixed in with the prescription canned food she was on then. She's only 4 1/2 lbs now, so not a major investment. Pumpkin may also be beneficial.

My source is Earth Clinic.

Best wishes for you and your baby!

ETA, all my suggestions are for the kidney problem. 

Super Contributor

@mima In my earlier post to you, I meant to also tell you about giving your dog a Pepcid AC tablet about 30 minutes prior to feeding. When dogs are in kidney failure, the kidneys can't pull toxins from the system and therefore, they can get an upset stomach and not want to eat. I used to give my 22 lb. dog 10mg. (I cut a tablet in half), but, I haven't had to do this in quite awhile.   

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Valued Contributor

@mimawrote:

I have posted before about my dog that is a super picky eater.  She is 12 1/2 years old and set in her ways.  We used to give her dry dog food and a little meaty/canned food twice a day for a little treat.  When they changed the dry dog food formula, she would no longer eat the dog food.  We tried several different kinds and refused to eat.  So we then changed to just canned dog food.  Now she has the beginning of kidney failure.  Our vets want us to put her on prescription canned dog food especially for kidney disease.  She does not like it.  She will finally eat it at the end of the day if she can see she isn't getting anything else.  I have tried heating it and that doesn't help.  We have also tried 4 different flavors/versions of this dog food, nope!  You can tell she doesn't like it.  She lays it on the floor and just looks at it, finally eating some.  She has did this for about a month now, so I don't think she is going to get used to it.  We tried giving her some of her previous canned dog food to make sure it wasn't her appetite, and it wasn't.  She hogged it down fast!

My husband says eating is the only enjoyment she gets to look forward to and to give her the dogfood she wants even if it isn't the best for her.

Oh, I tried mixing a little of her old dog food with the new and she makes a mess trying to get the dog foods seperated.

What would you do?

You’ve gotten very good advice already.  I just wanted to tell you how very sorry I am that you are going through this difficult time.  I’ve been there being a dog lover.  We just put boiled chicken breast on top of the dry or canned food.  Good wishes and hope you have success with it.

Super Contributor

@mima

Go to pet wellbeing dot com and get some kidney support gold!!!

It’s a homeopathic supplement for cats and dogs and really helps. I had two cats with kidney disease and it improved their numbers. They lived 5 years with it and I lost them due to other reasons. When they passed, their kidney numbers were good. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for you and your sweet dog.  

If kidney failure is starting, I doubt any food will reverse it.

I would give my dog whatever would make her happy.  I would want to cause as little stress or disappointment as possible.  Yes, I would use the food she likes and just love her for as long as I could.

I wish you the best.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@queendivawrote:

Sorry-for early kidney failure she needs the special food. Make sure she has lots of water. It will take time, but she will eat it. She will not starve. You have spoiled her, as we all do with our loving pets. No more of her old fave. Do what is best for her. She will adapt, as we all do.

@queendiva  It’s like kids who will only eat mac ‘n cheese & chicken nuggets, so that’s all their parents offer. “No child ever purposely starved themselves when offered food on a regular basis” (wise words from my beloved pediatrician 35 yrs. ago). So it is w/ our fur babies, too. Best of luck. Have patience.