Trusted Contributor

Re: What would you do regarding elderly dog?

I think you should feed the food that she enjoys and eats.  The pleasure in your heart knowing your baby is at least eating in my opinion outweigh the stress she will experience and possible faster health decline from not eating her food. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mima, I am sorry that you are going through this.  I have never been able to get my crew to eat any of those specialty diets.  For my seniors, they have become very picky so I prepare chicken breasts, rice, and ground sirloin.  I then add some of their regular dog food.  Quite often, they eat around the dog food.

Nourishment is the most important and kidney disease becomes secondary.  Food is for both nourishing and enjoying.  Do what works.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@mima When our dog wars going through the same problem the vet told me to make her food.I used a big pot and put in brown rice sweet potato carrot and a little chicken.I boiled and then puréed the food.My dog loved it and ate up until the day before she passed.The vet told me to make this food but that I wasn't to use any meat other than chicken and only sweet potato and carrot with the rice and not a lot of the meat.I used all organic food to make the dogs dinner and she lasted a very long time after the diagnosis.The vet was surprised how well she did and I am sure that the food helped.I also added a little turmeric for the anti inflammatory properties.

Respected Contributor

This is just my opinion but I would give her the dog food she likes. I would enjoy the time you have with her and just know that she had a good life and was treated well. I agree with your husband when he says "she has earned it". I think because we love our beloved family members so much we want to keep them as long as possible but it gets down to quality of life and their enjoyment.

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear about your dog, @mima.

@Drythe has used an idea I also found to work and I'll expand on it. 

I poach an organic chicken for an hour, then add a lot of baby carrots, cook for another 40 minutes, then add a cup of white rice and some celery chunks or large slices.  Cook for another 20 minutes or so until the rice is done.

No need to add salt at all since the flavors of all the great ingredients blend and meld.  Even better in days to come.  It'll be good enough for you, your husband, and your dog.  

The meat will be falling off the bones, and it'll be easy to serve.  Just make sure (as you know) no bones get into the dog's dish.  No reason she can't also enjoy the rice, veggies, and chicken.  She can have this for one meal a day, and the kidney formula diet with chicken stock poured over it for her second meal.  (My small dog gets three small meals a day, about which she never fails to remind me.  My dog has heart issues, so another reason for no added salt.)

Kidney disease is scary, but you can manage.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

@mima I just want to offer you some hope. Don't give up -YOUR DOG IS NOT OLD YET. I have a little dachsund that had his 16th birthday last November (2017). He had a similar situation to your dog. In Oct. 2016, my vet told me that he was going into kidney failure. Because his kidneys could not pull all the fluid from his body, fluid begain to build up around his heart causing congestive heart failure.She really thought he wouldn't last two weeks, but, she put him on furosemide to pull fluid (a low dose because that stuff can damage the kidneys) and Vetmedin for his heart. We also tried the canned Royal Canin dog food for renal support and he would not touch it. So, we went to the dry formula. I cook chicken or fish with a little rice and green beans, sometimes some sweet potatoes thrown in. Then I add some of the dry food and let it soften. He loves it! Last summer they ran bloodwork on him to see how his kidneys were doing and they had IMPROVED. Try the dry food and throw in some goodies for her.  

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

We just lost our elderly boy in October.  Bless your heart for having to help your "baby" through this period.

After the chicken broth, I would look at how you want your pup's time to be like in relations for your choices for him.  So very, very, sorry.

Respected Contributor

I would and have done, after trying all types of prescription foods,  just gone to what my pet was willing to eat.  I agree with your husband. Your dear dog dosen't understand why you've stopped giving her what she likes , she just knows this is all you want to give her now.  Make her happy while you can.  Hugs and pats to your sweet pup.

Valued Contributor

I'd ask the vet.  Could the vet prescribe an appetite stimulant?

Respected Contributor

I’m sorry your baby is sick but She is communicating in the only way she can. I agree with hubby, give her the food she wants. Let her enjoy her life.