Occasional Contributor

What should I do for Injured feral cat?

I've been taking care of a cat colony and the mamma is injured near her tail. It looks like something took a bite out of her. It was red/raw  about 5 days ago but not bleeding.  It looks like it's healing and no longer red. My husband said she will heal on her own and if I trap her, I will traumatize her.  What should I do?   

I have traps but I don't want to make it worse.  All the cats in the colony I've TNR.  She is eating good twice a day but won't let me pet her.  

Respected Contributor

Re: What should I do for Injured feral cat?

@Camper

Everything.

Now, however, take a photograph of the injury. Several. Show them to a vet clinic. THEN decide.

Bless you for caring.

Respected Contributor

We have also been looking after colony of cats for about 8 years now.  One of them was hit by car and dragged itself back to their 'home' we threw blanket over him and took two of us to get him in carrier a nightmare big time.

Long story short - vet sorted out his leg, bad neck wound, antibiotics - joke to try to get them down him!  We 'caged' him in our wash room for 3 weeks while he healed - it was chaos BUT so worth it.  He never left when we let him go and today he is huge, big ball of fur sleeping on our bed.

We still feed the rest if the colony - but it was a real epic getting this cat to vet but would do it all again - and have done so.  Hope your kitty heals soon.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply and I will take pictures and take to vet. 

Occasional Contributor

You are wonderful to go through that to make that kitty better.  Such an inspiration.

I started to take care of mamma when she showed up about 7 months ago because of your all posts about changing the life for that that one cat.  She came back with one kitten, and then the other two.  I TNR all of them but not quick enough for the momma.  She came back with a second litter of 3 the day after she had been TNRd.  Seven in all and all now fixed with shots., plus the one indoor we had adopted about one year ago.   

Honored Contributor

@Camper@dulwich, and @1Professor - Thank you for caring and for what you are doing! You are giving kitties a better chance at life. 

@Camper - DH would probably say to leave Kitty alone if she is healing on her own. Your DH is right - it IS traumatizing sometimes when a feral cat is restrained, even if you are trying to make things better. If you notice the wound getting worse and inflamed, then you should take action. In @dulwich's kitty's case, the injuries were worse. Her kitty is living a better life because she helped him! He probably was so hurt he had little resistance to being handled, and he knew her, which helped with the trust issue.

BTW. DH and I met when our family kitty got out and (we think) was dragged by a car - her paws were red and scraped and she had internal injuries. My mom was good friends with the senior veterinary technician, I had just finished college and had never been there before, and well. . . let's just say Kitty was there for pictures on our wedding day!  Smiley Wink

Occasional Contributor

Hi Beach-Mom,

Thank you so much for your reply.  Momma is healing and it no longer looks red. She had been missing for 3 days.    I watch her eat to see if she's in distress.  I will keep a close eye on her.   

Honored Contributor

@Camper

My DD cares for a feral colony and has brought 8 of the friendlier one into her home over time.

The ones that are too feral, she gets an antibiotic from her vet that she can put on their food.

She mixes it with canned food in a separate bowl, that she offers the sick one, while keeping the others at bay with their dry food.

Let your vet know that you're trying to care for a feral colony (impossible to bring in for treatment!) and they should understand and give you spare antibiotics.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Camper

If her wound is pink now, I agree that she needs no further treatment, she's healed on her own....YAY!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I didn't know about antibiotic I for food!   I will do that also.   Thank you so much.