Honored Contributor

What new things do your older pets do

that they may not have done when they were younger?

(Sorry, I thought the question was much too long for the subject line.)

My little dog, who is somewhere between 15 and 16, is losing her hearing and her eyesight is also diminished.

She has decided to compensate for these losses by making sure she stays directly behind me whenever we are moving about the house so she can keep track of where I'm going.  I think it's mostly because she can't hear me take steps and she can't rely on other clues like she used to. 

Outside, on a leash, she doesn't feel the need to do that at all.

Have your pets changed some of their habits as they age?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: What new things do your older pets do

My dog will be 12 in another month.  For some reason she has suddenly started going into trash cans and finding used tissues then chewing them leaving a trail of ripped up tissues on the floor. 

I don't know why this is happening and she's only been doing it for a few weeks.  I try to make sure there are no tissues left in the trash cans or the bathroom doors are closed.

Honored Contributor

My grandcat,  who now lives with me her grandma, will be 18 in June.

She stares at me a lot while sitting on the couch next to me.

She also meows when I am on the phone, esp. with one of my daughters and my mother.

She also believes there is no food in her dish even when half full, unless grandma refreshes it or adds a little something!

She also expects a treat before and after eating.

A scary thing that had never happened before is she had what looked like a seizure for about a minute earlier this month.

So scary and I didn't know how to help her.

She's been fine since then thank goodness.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@haddon9-

Our oldest granddog started doing that when he was 12!

I wonder why and what it is that they need?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@haddon9wrote:

My dog will be 12 in another month.  For some reason she has suddenly started going into trash cans and finding used tissues then chewing them leaving a trail of ripped up tissues on the floor. 

I don't know why this is happening and she's only been doing it for a few weeks.  I try to make sure there are no tissues left in the trash cans or the bathroom doors are closed.

@haddon9-

I looked this up and from rover.com-

— Stanley Coren, “Why do dogs like to shred tissues?

"It’s not just the texture of the paper that taps into a dog’s instincts. The very act of holding down a tissue box or toilet roll—and shredding it to mulch—echoes the behavior of a dog in the wild as it picks apart its meal.

Used paper goods also hold onto a range of scents and flavors that attract dogs. Just like underwear and socks, a snotty tissue is a salty treasure trove that, well, tastes like you. (Did we mention that dogs are gross?)

Boredom, stress, or anxiety can also send dogs running to shred paper."

Honored Contributor

Thanks @GingerPeach, interesting topic.

My two elder loves have started calling to me when they think it’s time for me to come to bed.  Tick tock - Mommers.

They are brothers and Katrina survivors.  My heart stutters sharply when I realize how old they are.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Hi @Drythe

Animal behavior is fascinating just on an observational level, but can veer from endearing to distressing when it's so very personal.

Lots of warm "blankies" for your two elders.  Also, maybe they are helping you get any extra rest you may need these days. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@on the baywrote:

@haddon9wrote:

@haddon9-

I looked this up and from rover.com-

— Stanley Coren, “Why do dogs like to shred tissues?

"It’s not just the texture of the paper that taps into a dog’s instincts. The very act of holding down a tissue box or toilet roll—and shredding it to mulch—echoes the behavior of a dog in the wild as it picks apart its meal.

Used paper goods also hold onto a range of scents and flavors that attract dogs. Just like underwear and socks, a snotty tissue is a salty treasure trove that, well, tastes like you. (Did we mention that dogs are gross?)

Boredom, stress, or anxiety can also send dogs running to shred paper."

@on the bay Yes it is gross!  ...but as to why suddenly, I really don't know.  Nothing is different that I can think of or maybe she just discovered this!  Thanks for looking it up! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Sadie my almost 14 yr. old beagle has been on “borrowed time” the last several years after her Cushing diagnosis. Her blood work is still normal although most dogs only live a few years after the diagnosis. 

I sincerely feel that having Molly around has kept her more chipper. If nothing else, she has to stand up and make room for her on the dog bed, goes out the dog door to yard to summon her when she sees me heading to the food bin. Sadie has definitely become more active.

Because we love her, we watch her for what we call “the look”. We’ve seen it in our other beagles...The ”I’m tired or hurting and ready for rainbow bridge look”. As much as I hate it, I owe her that peace.

Super Contributor

We had a young dog, back in the '60s, who'd tear tissues. He'd hide behind doors to do it. Mom would find it when she cleaned.

Moved when he was 2-3 years old, don't remember that he did that after the move.

Dad died when Laddie was 10, Dad always went to bed and watched TV before mom, Laddie was used to going with him. Never got used to not going to bed without him.