Respected Contributor

Re: What makes us love our pets so much?

[ Edited ]

@Tweety68 I am not sure why we love them so much...I was born loving them, holding them, protecting them and grieving deeply in their loss....They always came first in my life, ahead of all else....I would have died for them. I 'feel' them, speak with them, understand them, as they do me...is the greatest gift I've ever known. Each is individual....they loved me, trusted me... their beauty which makes our world such a dearer place to be....

I am so sorry @Tweety68 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite 

Yes.

And, now, I'm crying.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

my vet told me that it hurts so much because we love them so much.  i asked him why if i did the right thing,  why did it hurt so much.   and it does hurt no one can tell you any different.

Trusted Contributor

“We” do not think of these living creatures as “pets” (expendable).

Respected Contributor

They give so much and ask for so little.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my opinion and I don’t expect others to feel as I do.

I believe animals are God’s greatest gifts. When I look at my Callie, I see one of God’s greatest creations here on earth. Another expression of his unconditional love in giving me such a loving, special, funny, and beautiful creature to take care of. What’s ironic is that she looks after me too, When I’m sick and not feeling well she’s always there watching over me like a little angel with fur. She actually comes up and taps my wrist if I don’t seem as active as usual, and her loving and worried look is so heartwarming. There’s no way on earth I could love my little girl any more. I thank God for every day that I have with her. I hope that when it comes time to say goodbye, that I will be thankful for the time we had together here on earth, knowing that someday I will see her again in heaven. I’m sorry you are in pain right now. I will pray for you and your babies.

Honored Contributor

@Tweety68 dh and I have had a dog in the house since we married 40 years ago....we have lost 3 dogs, we cry like babies when we have to put them down.

Before long we have another puppy....our house does not feel right with out a dog.  Sorry you are dealing with this, I know it's hard but it's the price we pay for all the love they give us.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are not alone.

Pet lovers all understand your heart break. 

We adore our furbabies from the moment we fall into their beautiful eyes and furry lil faces.

Their expressions of love, excitement and the quizzical faces - that always make me laugh.

They always love us - if we're not feeling or looking our best - in the eyes of our beloved pets we are always perfect

They greet us with such gusto; a mannerism that ONLY a pet owner understands.

My kiddencat Shadow literally RUNS to the front door at the end of the day when he hears my husband set his alarm signaling he's locking the car. Shadow is at the door greeting him.

He puts a paw up on the glass, mews in a whiny manner and tilts his head - he IS IN LOVE WITH HIS DAD....meanwhile he is in our lives BECAUSE HIS MOM stole him out from uder his abusive previous home. (my nextdoor neighbor).

I tell my husband - you make me nuts ---  

I spoil him crazy and he adores you more! - OY! -

How can we NOT love our pets...they are the best nuggets ever.

As they age or become ill - do your best to love them/comfort them and not a miss a moment to shower them with kisses. 

We are the BLESSED to have had the privilege of receiving a pet's love .... remember that.

Trusted Contributor

@Tweety68  Sometimes I wish I didn't love them so much because it is so unbearable to have to give them up. I understand your pain completely. I lost my beloved 17 yr old dachshund six months ago, and now am trying to deal with losing an 11 yr. old golden lab to cancer. I still have him, but, afraid it won't be for much longer. I admire those who are able to immediately get another pet, but, for me, I suffer from ongoing depression and  just can't handle the deep sadness of the loss. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that others understand your pain.Heart   

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.