Honored Contributor

Re: What makes us love our pets so much?

@Tweety68 

We love our pets because they give us unconditional love and are always happy to see us.

I have had cats my entire life so I also feel your pain when they are sick and eventually let them go.

We had to finally let our 11 yr old Grayson kitty go 2-1/2 weeks ago. So our pain is still real but we are feeling much better every day.

You will feel better each day knowing you made the absolute unselfish decision regarding your fur baby.

I continue to pray for all of us because we love too much — if that makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you are going through this.  I can not read the other responses because I know I will get upset.  I have had two dogs die in my arms, one of them because I could not bring myself to take her to the vet to have her put down, the other died sooner than expected.  They do suffer at the end.

I was actually thinking about your question myself just this morning.  I absolutely LOVE the two dogs I have now.  I miss them when I am on vacation.  When I am home with them, they get way more attention from me than my spouse or kids, right or wrong.  They comfort me and I comfort them.  I hope I will have a dog until my last days on this earth.  

Blessings to you and your pets.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Their unconditional love is like nothing else in life.  I have a 12 year old doxie mix and she is always near me.  My cat is 8 and a little more independent but loves being brushed and petted.  There's nothing like seeing those little faces looking up at me when I wake up in the morning.  Brandy flops down for a belly rub and Jasmine is meowing because she knows I will fill up her food bowl.   Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Tweety68  Our pets become so much a part of our daily lives, my kitty, Sylvester,  knows when I'm sad and is always there to give me his loving purr.  Our furbabies leave their footprints on our hearts because we love them and they love us.  It is up to all of us pet owners to give our babies the special love and care they need at the end of their life so they can ease out of this world and cross the beautiful Rainbow bridge.  I have had to say goodbye to so many of my special fur kids, and it just tears me up every time and I swear I'm never getting another pet, but as time eases the hurt I find myself missing that extra special love only our pets can give and next thing I know I've adopted yet another special kitty to love. I know you are sad but just remember all the love you and your pet had to give to each other.

Trusted Contributor

How's it possible for us not to love our furbabies so much?  You can easily see that their hearts shine thru their eyes at us.  That says it all.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I am sending you hugs and friendship. I have no words to make this better. I am sure in the not too distant future you will remember your furbaby with a smile instead of tears. It's ok to not be at that point yet. These little balls of fur come into our lives to show us what unconditional love is. Who else would be so happy to see you when you come home with that much energy. Dog spelled backwards is God.

Contributor

So sorry that you are going through this difficult time. We have had dogs in our family for 39 yrs now. There has been loss,but the joy and unconditional love they we have received from them has been amazing. We currently have 3 beautiful Cocker Spaniels. Cody 10, Bella 7 and Abby Sue who just turned 2. I would be lost without them! I know some day in the future we will have loss again but I hope not for a long while. I am hoping as each day passes your sadness will lessen. I’m sending you a big hug. 

Contributor

Agree wholeheartedly!

Valued Contributor

I can feel your pain, and mine, in watching aging pets leave this world. As to why we love our pets so much, I believe that the love we share with them goes straight to the heart that is unmatched by any human love, in terms of its purity. What choice do we have when it comes to loving our pets? Do we choose not to have pets to avoid the pain of loss, or do we follow our heart's wish to enjoy this pure love? I choose love.

Respected Contributor

@furbabylover   ... It's amazing how many people have told me that they would never get another dog because it was too painful to lose them.  I feel like you do...  The pain is excruciating, but the love is stronger.

@furbabylover wrote:

Do we choose not to have pets to avoid the pain of loss, or do we follow our heart's wish to enjoy this pure love? I choose love.