Super Contributor

What makes us love our pets so much?

When they are ill or aging  my heart is breaking.They love so much.I know that it is part of life in my head, but my heart is being  broken.I am in physical pain from  watching them  in pain.Can someone offer me some words to comfort?

Respected Contributor

Re: What makes us love our pets so much?

Having been through this many times, I don't know of an easy way. For me I immediately would get another pet. Some people say that they need time to heal before they can do that. I just couldn't stand the pain of not having a pet in the house. We have had 4 dogs and one cat. I am so sorry that you are going through this. It is just something that we must face as pet owners. I dread the day when my Toy Aussie leaves us but that's something that I will have to face. I am so sorry that I did not say anything to help you through the pain that you are experiencing. I have actually gotten another puppy while we still had an elderly dog knowing that they might not have too long. This helped me tremendously. Wishing you the best.

Super Contributor

@Tricolor ,thanks so very much.Just need to hear something anything right now.. Thanks for understanding...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tweety68 

Other than saying I understand, I'm not sure I can ease your pain.  Sometimes just sharing your thoughts helps.

I opted for a surgical procedure for my dearest cat, Cooper, and it did not go well.  After a few weeks, I had to let him go.  I will never stop blaming myself.  He had been a stray and turned into the best cat ever.  

In the last few years, I've lost 4 cats including Cooper.  It never gets easier.  I admire those that can adopt again quickly, but I'm not sure if I will ever be ready.

I wanted to add that, what has helped me a little, is supporting several local animal rescues.  I cannot work with the animals, but I am a generous donor and that does make me feel better.

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman .Thank you for listening. I am such a strong person, but not for my pets.I am always surprised at this weakness.I havec3 cats one little man dog...It is amazing this is so painful..Thanks for being so kind...

Trusted Contributor

I too have lost several pets over the years.  It is heartbreaking!  I have gotten a new pet right away to try to ease the grief.  Another time we waited about 9 months before getting our current honey.  That worked better for us.  By the end of those months, we KNEW that we needed another dog.  Our beagle is 13 now, and I thank God for each day that she is still with us.

Honored Contributor

Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I think all of us who had or have pets know that.  As each one passes it is never easier but just as difficult. The tears flow, the grief of pain comes and we go through the process of loss.  

With that being said, the question what makes us love our pet so much, is easy to answer. Loyalty, unconditional love, comfort, companionship, fun, enjoyment all add to having a pet.  

I have been through many sad pet losses and relate to your situation.  I wish there were words to ease your pain.  However, time will heal, it always does.  I think mourning is natural and shouldn't be held back.  I wish you peace of mind.

Honored Contributor

@Tweety68  IT is so heartbreaking but so worth it.  From another post I gather that your sweetie is having hip issues.  Talk to your vet about laser treatments.  My older dog had trouble walking and after a couple of laser treatments he was more mobile and had less pain.  Also maybe ask about CBD oil.  I know 2 people whose dogs have had real great outcomes with pain and mobility issues with it.  And like my one vet said, your pet doesn't think oh what a horrible life with this pain but will still wag their tail and think oh goody, I get to lay on mommy's lap again and she'll give me special treats!

Esteemed Contributor

These gentle souls come into our lives and enrich our lives in so many ways. The ending part is so painful that I can actually feel my heart ache. I know that I'm the human and  that my dog looks to me to make the tough human decisions. I feel that they never leave us but each of them are forever in their special place in our hearts. I miss each and every one of them every single day. I just can not imagine my life without a dog/s in my home. For me, my home is a home with a dog/s.

I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. 

Respected Contributor

@Tweety68   I'm sorry for what you are going through.  These are our children and companions.  We love them with all our hearts and are responsible for their care and well being.  

I say that they are people, too.  Two legged people look at me like I'm crazy, but I've seen all kinds of animals exihibit the traits that we label as humanity.  

Our pets enrich our lives, and then they break our hearts.  But, our hearts wouldn't break if we didn't love them so.  For me, I will take the extruciating pain of loss for having had the privelege of being their mom.  

I do understand.  I lost one  4.5 years ago, and couldn't function until I had a puppy in my arms again.  Iit took 18 months for the depression to lift.  He was worth all that pain.  I miss him every day.  I currently have a 14.5 year old boy now, and I'm grateful for every day I get to keep him.

As for your baby, again, I'm so sorry.  Just love him/her, and don't let him/her suffer if there isn't hope for healing.  And take care of you, too.  ((((HUGS))))