Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite dog food to feed your Sweet Pup?

whole earth farms dry food with about a tablespoon of the wet food mixed in. he eats all the flavors.

we switched to that food and it has made a huge difference to his pale skin and white fur.......it is so much brighter with less discoloration.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jasper, my 5 year old miniature poodle, has always had a sensitive tummy.   He did great for a few years on Simply Nourish, but I got two bad bags in a row (bugs) and started cooking dog food.  I tried to wean him back to store bought food, but his tummy wasn't interested.  After many months of trying different things, finally moved him to FreshPet about a month ago;   He's doing great on it.  

Trusted Contributor

After losing my 11 year old golden lab last May, I said I would not get another dog. Well, I saw a shelter dog posted on Facebook and he had been at this kill shelter for over a monh and his time was running out. I could not bear it, so I adopted him.He is a black lab. I had been feeding him Rachel Ray's Dry Nutrish food and he kept having digestive issues, so we switched to Purina One Smertblend True Instinct. He likes it and the digestive problems have cleared up.

Great thread, @SeaMaiden !

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

Based on research (and the bonus of my vets approval), I feed my American Bulldog raw food. 

Honored Contributor

After the scare of  the dry foods, i changed to farmina grains,for kibble,   i really like it, my dogs eat also fresh protein,veggies, fruit.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

After losing my 11 year old golden lab last May, I said I would not get another dog. Well, I saw a shelter dog posted on Facebook and he had been at this kill shelter for over a monh and his time was running out. I could not bear it, so I adopted him.He is a black lab. I had been feeding him Rachel Ray's Dry Nutrish food and he kept having digestive issues, so we switched to Purina One Smertblend True Instinct. He likes it and the digestive problems have cleared up.

Great thread, @SeaMaiden !

@Sapphiregal     One lucky shelter dog to get you as their  MOM. How sweet to adopt him... I have a black lab also,  that is 2 now named Buddy.  He and Lola use to be best pals.... now it is just him to hug and hold close. 

Respected Contributor

My two slightly overweight Amer. Cocker Spaniel "sisters" eat homemade dog "meatloaf" (ground turkey, green beans, egg & parsley).   I completely eliminated all grain from the recipe (oatmeal and brown rice) as they both had developed ear infections, as well as gained weight.   I supplement vitamins using Naturvet All-in-One powder into their meatloaf prior to serving.  As a snack, I make them homemade chicken jerky.

My heart goes out to the OP or anyone losing a pet before age 15 ... in 2007 my beloved Chloe passed suddenly at age 10 which I blame on tainted dog food which was widespread at that time.

Esteemed Contributor

Use Dr. Gary's Best Breed, use all the different protein both grain free and holistic lines.  Buy a different bag each time.  Will incorporate raw meals occasionally and raw goats milk and eggs into meals.  All their training treats are meat that I cook, mostly chicken or turkey with some cheese mixed in for a change.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

I've ben feeding my girl Bil Jac.  It was recommended by a breeder friend, who has been feeding it for years.  Her dogs live to ripe old ages and stay in good health.

It has been around for a long time, made in the US and has never had a recall.

No, it is not a fancy designer, "health" food.  It is also not inexpensive.  Chewy sells it.  Read up on how it's made.

I have fed many different brands and spent a boatload of money on them.  Fromm gave my dog upset stomachs.  Wellness, loose stools   Blue Buffalo - both.

No problems on Bil Jac and good vet visits.

I also give her vitamins and probiotics.

Contributor

If anyone subscribes to the whole dog journal they have pages of food they reommend and why. Thats the reason I signed up for it.  Quite a few pages, and many I have never heard of.