Regular Contributor

Re: What is your favorite dog breed and why...

We certainly do have our favorite breeds.  Mine is the Toy Manchester Terrier.  I think they are the perfect small dog.  They aren't barkers, they have a short coat which requires minimal grooming, they have a loving and loyal personality, they are smart, they stay small about 12 pounds, beautful coloring (all are the same-black and tan), don't really shed.  It is a very uncommon breed, I am actually looking for a puppy now and cannot find one.  I don't understand why they aren't more common.  I think these are the perfect small dog. 

Trusted Contributor

Golden Retriever!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I love all animals....each is special.  As for dogs, my first little Pomeranian chose me.  If you want an independent yard dog, don't ever get a pom.  They adore and live for their family.  Always with a silly grin on their face and a motor board wagging tail.  They won't leave you and live in your lap and happy to travel as long as they are with their family.  My husband says we have an expensive dog house....we bought an RV so our little guy could travel with us.  I've flown on planes with my first pom and could put the travel carrier under the seat and able to have her in my lap quietly content for the cross country flight (couldn't do that now).  They suffer when you are sad and share in your happiness.  They love to walk with you or go for short runs...you are their world.

The worse sadness is losing your pom...it is unspeakable pain.  They always remain in your heart.  

Each animal is a blessing and we are so lucky to have experienced the love of a dog...loyal and loving bringing immense joy into our lives.

You described the Poms perfectly.  I shed a few tears reading your post because I lost my Tedi almost two years ago and I still get teary thinking about him.  No one or nothing has ever loved me like that dog.  He was abused when we got him and it took a lot of medical attention to get him well but boy did he appreciate it and show it every day. 

Respected Contributor

@Jackyl wrote:

We certainly do have our favorite breeds.  Mine is the Toy Manchester Terrier.  I think they are the perfect small dog.  They aren't barkers, they have a short coat which requires minimal grooming, they have a loving and loyal personality, they are smart, they stay small about 12 pounds, beautful coloring (all are the same-black and tan), don't really shed.  It is a very uncommon breed, I am actually looking for a puppy now and cannot find one.  I don't understand why they aren't more common.  I think these are the perfect small dog. 

Please go to"Toy Manchester Terrier Rescue" and search there for a pup. You will be a hero to a little dog who really needs a good home. Good luck! Always check rescues first!

Honored Contributor

Keeshond

Cairn Terrier

We love all dog breeds and mutts but our favorites are the keeshond and cairn terrier.  Both Anika and Brodie (wheaten) were certified therapy dogs and loved their therapy careers.  They were both "people" dogs, meaning they loved everyone they met and vice versa.

Alfie is a cairn (grey brindle) who just turned 8 last month.  He is the therapist for our retirement center neighborhood and just like Brodie loves people, and meets and greets everyone who walks past.  He absolutely loves belly rubs and won't go to bed every night without belly rubs and pets.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Cairn Terriers.

@pupwhipped 

I love cairns too.  They are so charming and smart as a whip.  My current cairn is named Alfie, just like the song.  He loves everyone he meets, especially when they offer him a treat.  Smiley Happy 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

It seems most people have a favorite breed and sticks to it.  We have had only small dogs.  Our favorite breed is Pomeranian. The reason is not only are they cute but loaded with personality and are so happy all the time. They lift your spirits everyday.  We have had four and they do not have a down day until they get sick.  We also have a Peek a poo (for over 12 years) and we love him dearly but he is always serious and kind of a loner. Does not like people at all but us.  Our chihuahua was so sweet but not playful.  Our Pom does backward circles when it is time to eat.  Always happy and lovable.  It is so sad when they go because there is so much to miss.  

I couln't agree more! We ae now on our fourth Pom, a little girl named Lola. After losing our last one, I really didn't want another one. DH on the other hand, said the house was too quiet without a dog We have been married 40 years and always had a pup in our lives. I think he conspired with our groomer who knew a breeder and I agreed to go look a new litter. As it turned out, this litter was born on Oct 14th, the same day I lost my little Buffy. I beleive that Buffy sent me to see Lola knowing how much I was griefing her loss.

Honored Contributor

Pekingese - they are so affectionate & loving.  They can be stubborn but they're so darn cute it's hard to get mad at them.

Tibetan Spaniel - when we moved to Hawaii & I couldn't find a Pekingese breeder, someone told me about Tibetan Spaniels.  Ours isn't as affectionate as a Pekingese, unless he feels like it, but I still love him with all my heart!  He is spoiled rotten!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

For me it’s small to medium, I’ve had the best Cocker Spaniel, a cockapoo, and 3 chihuahuas.

Now I have my loves that bring me great joy, A silky, Khloe and a Yorkie, Zoe.

I’ve always wanted a Pomeranian. Growing up my Aunt had Lady. She was the sweetest and most adorable.

Valued Contributor

@Jackyl We had a Toy Manchester growing up.  You described them perfectly.  They are a beautiful little dog...and very smart!

Best of luck to you in your search for a puppy!