Respected Contributor

What every shelter dog needs is a lounge chair

Animal shelters request armchairs for homeless dogs after video goes viral

https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/shelter-dogs-relax-comfy-chairs

"The shelter pets absolutely love their chairs! If anyone has any older chairs they no longer want, please think of the shelter pets!" the shelter wrote. 

Tango relaxes with a chair and a blanket.

So far, nine chairs have been donated, making for some happy pooches. The pups are more relaxed and calm now that they're lounging on comfortable furniture instead of pacing the kennels or sitting on dog beds, says Kramer. When people come in to meet the dogs, the pups aren't so jumpy and nervous, she says.

Respected Contributor

Re: What every shelter dog needs is a lounge chair

Buster Brown is quite comfortable in his personal office chair.

Buster Brown is a forever dog at the Knox County Humane Society in Galesburg, Illinois. He's the office dog, hanging out behind the front desk, greeting visitors as they come in and "helping" staff members in general. 

The only problem is that Buster Brown has never been thrilled with his dog bed, which is on the floor. He would much prefer to squish his relatively massive frame into the chair behind whichever human is sitting at the desk. Comfy for him, but not so conducive to actually getting work done.

Shelter director Erin Buckmaster decided Buster needed his own chair. 

Trusted Contributor

Hopefully the next thing the shelter pets get is a comfy chair in a home. I have had several shelter babies over the years. Love them! I admit it's hard for me to go to a shelter sometimes because I want to rescue them all. They can have my chair, my blankets, my food, but mostly my love. 😻

Honored Contributor

What an awesome idea.

Honored Contributor

Although this makes a cute story, my thought is that the practice is ill-advised.  Many people work hard to teach their dogs to stay off of the furniture.  My dogs wouldn't think of climbing up on a chair of my off-white sofa.  They'll get on my lap while I'm sitting but not on the furniture.  This could jeopardise a permanent home situation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What a great idea!  I've never known anyone who didn't allow their pets on their furniture.  I would not have a pet if I felt that way.  Mine are family members and entitled to the furniture just as we are.  When filling out a form to adopt from a rescue group one of the questions asked was if the dog would be allowed the run of the house and if they would be allowed on the furniture and beds.  A followup phone call reviewed my information and I was approved and told that if anyone has restrictions where the dog can go they will not approve an adoption.   

Respected Contributor

I LOVE the idea!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@Pookwrote:

What a great idea!  I've never known anyone who didn't allow their pets on their furniture.  I would not have a pet if I felt that way.  Mine are family members and entitled to the furniture just as we are.  When filling out a form to adopt from a rescue group one of the questions asked was if the dog would be allowed the run of the house and if they would be allowed on the furniture and beds.  A followup phone call reviewed my information and I was approved and told that if anyone has restrictions where the dog can go they will not approve an adoption.   

@Pook.  This IS NOT a question routinely asked on adoption applications.  In fact, there's much documentation from health experts recommending that pets not be allowed to sleep on beds.  Most people who have nice furniture do not want dogs lounging on it, especially large dogs.  They will ruin it.  On the other hand, if you have crummy couches  and chairs...fine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover, I saw this yesterday and contacted both of our humane associations to see if they were interested in starting a program like this.  They had also seen the video.  They liked the idea, but they were concerned that dogs would use the chairs to climb out of the kennels or how to sanitize the chairs because of their cleaning solutions.  They thought that they could use them in the meet and green rooms.  I hope that they will follow through.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

If I had an old chair I would be happy to donate it. 

With that being said, I firmly believe that the human needs to be the Alpha or at least pretend to be.

Sharing the couch or the chair or the bed can cause issues with a power struggle if not handled correctly.

I have gone through many couches and chairs and finally, years ago, I settled on a day bed.

You can use a mattress protecter and wash the pillows and sheets as needed. 

It's not for everyone but it works here.