Honored Contributor

Re: What every shelter dog needs is a lounge chair

[ Edited ]

My pets are family members.  That "alpha" theory and power struggle is now found to be just bunk!!  You don't want a dog who is subserviant but comfortable and happy as your friend and family member!!  Positive training allows more calmness and happiness in your pet.  My dog is well behaved but I have achieved this with positive training and no power struggle ever!!  She does not look at me as her dominator who must be obeyed and that makes a huge difference from the old ways of training using the "alpha" theory!!

Anyone who values their furniture more should probably not own pets!!  You can buy furniture protectors but what you loose in the closeness bond with your loving companions is not worth it when you restrict access to furniture!!

Honored Contributor

This is probably something that some dog owners will have to train out of the dog but it isn't hard to do.  If it relaxes the dogs that much.....  it may be a good thing. 

I would be worried about the dogs tearing up the stuffing.  That might discourage an otherwise good pet owner from taking the dog home.   I trained my Aussie (at my couch) to "wait" until I put a blanket on it.  He never jumped on it till I said "Wait" and he knew that meant I was going for his blanket.  When the blanket was on, I would say "OK" and then and only then would he get on the couch.  He was such a good boy! The word "OK" was reserved for this situation only.  He was also allowed on my bed in the morning after "daddy" left for work....again, only if I said "OK".   I do find that the happiest best behaved dogs obey commands at a single word and are a joy to have around.

This is one of those things where I can see both sides of the coin so my feelings are mixed?????

Esteemed Contributor

@Pookwrote:

My pets are family members.  That "alpha" theory and power struggle is now found to be just bunk!!  You don't want a dog who is subserviant but comfortable and happy as your friend and family member!!  Positive training allows more calmness and happiness in your pet.  My dog is well behaved but I have achieved this with positive training and no power struggle ever!!  She does not look at me as her dominator who must be obeyed and that makes a huge difference from the old ways of training using the "alpha" theory!!

Anyone who values their furniture more should probably not own pets!!  You can buy furniture protectors but what you loose in the closeness bond with your loving companions is not worth it when you restrict access to furniture!!

Whiile I 100% agree with your assessment of positive,reinforcement training,  the owner must retain a leadership role.Positive reinforcement puts you as the leader out of respect rather than dominance as in the alpha training.

If you as a leader do not want your dog on the furnature,you can expect that from your dog and they are still members of the family.  They do not have to have "free range" of every part and every piece of furnature.  There are many people who give their dogs their own beds or chairs.  You do not have to allow your dog on the furniture to be close to them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook  I agree with you wholeheartedly.   Though I am a cat person, but I would just cover the couch with a blanket and I have the steps for the bed because it is very high.  I realize that cats and dogs are quite different in nature, but pets are pets and mine too are a family member.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was single, I had 2 dogs who shared my bed and furniture. Oldest one had the prime spot.

When hubby came along, somewhere along the way they chose, on their own, to move from the bed to the floor. I honestly don't remember exactly, as it's been some 40 years.

When first baby came, they stopped, again on their own, getting on the furniture. 

Only time the younger, skitzy one, got on the bed after that was when there was a very loud thunderclap right over the house. She was on the bed so fast, it was hilarious!

Now I have a Pom, and because she's so small, she has a comfy bed beside mine, with one of those thermal things in cold weather. When she wants, she lets me know she wants to sit with me in my recliner, with a special towel and one of her blankets. Often, she prefers her little day bed, but doesn't complain if I choose to pick her up.

My previous Pom always wanted to sit with me. Just fine with me!

To each their own. I believe different pets have different needs.

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal. I agree.  I have throws over everything in the family room, where we really live, but I also have beds for mine crew.  One cat prefers the sofa and the dog prefers DH's chair when he is not home.  If everyone is home, they all find some place to be.

At night, dog and one cat sleep on the bed, one cat sleeps in a large chair in the sunroom, and one cat sleeps on his sofa.  It all works.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Love this.  We donate to Grey Muzzle, an amazing oranization that provides orthopedic beds to dogs in shelters.  They don't have any dogs themselves, they distribute the funds collected and support various shelters, dogs needing surgery, hospice for dogs, etc.  Truly an amazing organization.  LOVE this idea....  the dogs seem more at peace.