Respected Contributor

What does your cat eat when you're away?

DH brought home a female cat that had been wandering around at his work (a facility out in the country) for a couple of weeks. We don't know if she wandered away from home or if she was just dropped off but we felt we wanted to give her a good home. Long story short, we took her to the vet to have her checked out and to see if she had a microchip, in case her previous owner might be looking for her. As luck would have it, she didn't and we found out she'd already been spayed as well... Bonus!  The vet estimated her age to be about three years.  We named her Lily (because she's orange like a tiger lily) and she has made herself quite at home with us. 

I've been doing a lot of reading about what to feed cats and it seems that most people are saying that cats should not be fed dry food. My question is, if we have to leave Lily for​ a weekend, for example, and we don't have anyone who can come in to feed her, how do we do it if she doesn't eat dry food? TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: What does your cat eat when you're away?

I was wondering why did they say you shouldn't feed the cat dry food? My 5 cats have been eating dry food all their lives.  What is the significance of wet food?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse

Do a Google search for wet food automatic feeders.

Like luvmybeetle, my cat & the previous ones lived long lives eating dry food.  Get wet food (meat) as "treats."  Cats are carnavors.

I use an automatic feeder.  I can't be bothered w/a howling cat at 3:00am because he's hungry.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Texasmouse, hooray that you are giving Lily a great home!  I like that name.  I'm not a vet, but I think that in general, vets prefer that we give them wet food, since maybe it keeps them more hydrated and more "regular".   We normally give ours a combination of wet and dry.

However, I don't believe it would be at all harmful for short vacation times to leave dry food.  We have a "food tower" that incrementally gives food out to the kitties when we are away, and of course it is all dry.

Honored Contributor

And should add, that plenty of conscientious owners provide dry food only.  You do what you can do, and any cat in a loving home with dry food is infinitely better off than a poor stray or feral cat left to the elements.

Respected Contributor

I have always fed my cats dry food and they have lived long happy lives.  I have an automatic feeder from Petmate which is set up to feed my cat twice a day.  I don't ever have to worry about her being fed when I am away for short periods of time such as a weekend.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Honored Contributor

I think the recommendation against dry food has to do with the tendency of male cats (mostly) forming crystals in their bladders.  I'm a dog person so maybe a cat person can elaborate.  I'd give the cat dry or semi-moist while you're away. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Please find a reliable petsitter. Don't leave your cat alone for a weekend.

Trusted Contributor

If Lily can free-feed without being a pig, you can get one of those feeders that let you load it up with dry food and you place that part into a dispensing bowl. As the bowl food goes down more food from the bin trickles out.

That's what I used to do for a cat that has since passed. She was a petite eater and there would be food left even when I got back.

But if you cat is like our current boys, they'd scarf it all up in a few hours. So we have a neighbor come by and feed them.

Just as important - when you go away for a weekend put up an extra litter box for Lily to use.

What a great thing you and your hubby did. Congrats on your new furry friend!

Valued Contributor

Always fed my cats good quality dry food.