Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  You are my celestial sister!Heart  Your loving Eddy has found a soulmate and so much would have loved your precious Jade.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.  This young woman lives about 2 miles from me and she says that she is staying in our area and pets are not permitted.  I can absolutely say that every apartment complex in our area accepts pets, no matter the size.  She just doesn't want her any more.

She is too large for me, especially with my knee problems.  When she was here and so afraid, she jumped up on me, almost like she was looking for protection.  It just is heart breaking.  My first thought is that I would end up tumbling down the stairs.  

With all of that said, I just cannot get her out of my mind.  I am hoping to hear that she gets to a rescue, but I am going to take the advice and contact some of them myself.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would not get a pit.

I think that's a mean thing to say, @goldensrbest.

My dog is part pit and he's the most kind loving furbaby ever!  In fact, I was talking with a friend about dogs being stolen in this area and he told me I better get a lock on the gate 'cause Eddy is too friendly - he doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

It greatly upsets me whenever someone discriminates about a breed.  Years ago people feared German Shepherds, then it was Dobies, now it's Pits.  It's the owners, not the breeds and it's an uninformed society that often buys into these falsehoods.

Honored Contributor

Having a pet is a big responsibility and people must be aware of the care and cost of pets before they take one in.  I am sure you are an excellent pet owner but if you feel that it will be too much for you physically and emotionally, perhaps it isn't a good idea.  I know your heart is in it but consider the pros and cons. I sense you would feel better if someone would give the dog a good home and that is fine.

I would add if I were moving in with someone who didn't want my pet, I wouldn't move in.  I do wish you the best whatever the choice may be.

Esteemed Contributor

After reading some of the replies, I started contacting pit rescues, explaining that it really was not my place to do so.  I am hoping that they will take the information and find Roxie.  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would not get a pit.

I think that's a mean thing to say, @goldensrbest.

My dog is part pit and he's the most kind loving furbaby ever!  In fact, I was talking with a friend about dogs being stolen in this area and he told me I better get a lock on the gate 'cause Eddy is too friendly - he doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

It greatly upsets me whenever someone discriminates about a breed.  Years ago people feared German Shepherds, then it was Dobies, now it's Pits.  It's the owners, not the breeds and it's an uninformed society that often buys into these falsehoods.

Too many give fatal attacks ,that is just a fact.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I hope it all works out 😍

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Thank you all for your replies.  This young woman lives about 2 miles from me and she says that she is staying in our area and pets are not permitted.  I can absolutely say that every apartment complex in our area accepts pets, no matter the size.  She just doesn't want her any more.

She is too large for me, especially with my knee problems.  When she was here and so afraid, she jumped up on me, almost like she was looking for protection.  It just is heart breaking.  My first thought is that I would end up tumbling down the stairs.  

With all of that said, I just cannot get her out of my mind.  I am hoping to hear that she gets to a rescue, but I am going to take the advice and contact some of them myself.

Even though it may be a pet friendly complex, most if not all have breed restrictions.  Maybe she didn't want to tell you that and figured it was just easier to say it was a no pet complex.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter, the apartment complexes in our area accept all breeds.  She is moving in with her boyfriend and bringing her children.  When someone wants to move the children and take away their pet, there is something seriously wrong.

Respected Contributor

Re: What Would You do?

[ Edited ]

Maybe you should call your vet and tell him what you are contemplating, and about the other dog and what occurred when the dogs were in the same room. Your dog is 14 years old, deaf, and weighs 18lbs and would be vulnerable to any aggressive behavior by any dog.

The other dog was not "scared" by your dog in the way you might think. The other dog was not familiar to the scent of your dog and his surroundings. It was probably a kind moment to watch especially if you thought a 60 lb dog was afraid of an 18lb dog and the situation looked cute. I doubt if that was why.

In your heart you want to care for the other dog because you love animals. Unfortunately we can not save them all.

What do you really know about the other dog and the owner and the way her boyfriend treated this animal, or how she treated the animal. Has the dog had shots, etc.. There is an expression children learn what they live and this applies to animals and their behavior as well.

If you are considering taking the dog make sure the dog feels comfortable in your surroundings and with Happy. Make sure they know each other's scents, and make sure you have enough time to watch and feel the interaction. Do ask the vet.

This neighbor person may be just taking advantage of your good heart. I do not like the way she would just toss aside a dog, or how the kids could easily give up their pet. Most children would be crying. It seems no one is crying for this dear animal except you.