Honored Contributor

What Some Animal Rights Groups Are Really About

This was posted on Facebook today by one of my dog breeder friends.  I know some of you support PETA but may not be aware of what they're really all about.  This isn't to start an argument.  I just feel it's important to be aware.  So many people don't know the truth.  It's much better to support your local humane society or another organization that you positively know spends the money on animals.

To my friends who don’t show dogs, if you support an animal charity, please do your research. Many people erroneously think that groups such as PETA and HSUS are groups who support animal welfare. They do not give one dime to helping animals. They are Animal Rights groups who want to end the ownership of all pets. Please be aware of where you are sending your money and what it is funding. Just this weekend PETA was out at a big Northern California four day dog show known as "Woofstock" releasing dogs from crates, so they wouldn’t be ‘slaves’ to their owners. Little did they care that they were close to major roads and would very likely be killed. ‘Better dead than bred’ is one of their rallying cries. They were also unplugging motorhomes so the dogs inside would die from overheating. All dogs were recovered, fortunately. However, should you support these groups, this is the behavior you endorse. Removing their funding is a way to eliminate or curb this behavior. Terrorism in any form is unacceptable. Knowledge is indeed power.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Re: What Some Animal Rights Groups Are Really About

I found out a long time ago that PETA prefers animals be euthanized rather than have them become loved members of a family. I never have and never will donate to that horrible organization. I wish more people understood what they are really all about. Thanks for posting this.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I found out a long time ago that PETA prefers animals be euthanized rather than have them become loved members of a family. I never have and never will donate to that horrible organization. I wish more people understood what they are really all about. Thanks for posting this.

that's nuts

Honored Contributor

I worked (many years ago) with someone who was a member of PETA and I didn't agree with most of what they did.  She never had a problem with animals as pets, however.

I think often these groups start with good intentions and then become extreme over the years.  PETA has highlighted some real issues with animal abuse, especially in the food and beauty industries.  But they cross a line, when they release domestic, farm or zoo animals, which they have certainly been known to do, with no regard to the animals' safety.

It's not an organization I would ever support financially.

Regular Contributor

Attended the Woodstock Dog Show in Vallejo, Ca today.  One of the vendors said yesterday there was a demonstration by PETA members outside the dog show,

Members of PETA in entered the show and were letting dogs out.  This show is right across the street from a very large amusement park with lots of traffic.  Show dogs are some of the most pampered and loved dogs.  PETA putting dogs in jeopardy is totally cruel and totally agree they have no regard for the animals or to the people that love them. Years ago I heard rumors of Members getting into the dog show and putting antifreeze into the dogs water.  

Honored Contributor

PETA has always been known as being extreme and militant.  I would never support them.  They ought to be smart enough to know that public opinion would be strongly against many of their tactics.  The need to be prosecuted for animal cruelty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I don't like PETA at all! I'm an animal rights activist and vegan. I'm also an abolitionist. PETA are welfareists. They don't care about animals at all. It's all about money for them. I don't want animals to be slaughtered for food,used as entertainement, worn or put on exhibition. Horse racing, dog racing, zoos..etc. because all animals matter! 

Honored Contributor

Something interesting I learned from National Audubon. 

If you donate to them and there happens to be a local chapter of the Audubon Society in your state, the local chapter gets diddly squat.  I learned that within the first year of being a member of National Audubon.  Now I support the local chapters of the Audubon society directly.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the info, I'll read more about it  @NickNack.

*rememberance of my little sister. i miss you*
Occasional Contributor

Wow, that is unbelievable.  I don't know how you could call that "ethical treatment of animals".  I used to donate to HSUS before I knew what they were all about.  Now I only donate to a local rescue from which I have adopted 3 of my 4 fur babies.